UPS guy dropped off a heavy box today!

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I love getting parts. The UPS guy was kinda pissed after lugging the heavy box up to my front stairs :)

View attachment 450029
View attachment 450031

I went with the Mach 1 front setup cuz it was dirt cheap off buyfordracing. It comes with SS lines which are pretty decent in quality. I plain on painting the Mach 1 calipers red with the duplicolor kit i used for my front and rear GT calipers. It will be a sort of modified bullitt caliper kit as having the pony didn't really matter to me.

I can't decide if i want to install the rear Cobra disks. I already have the 2300-M kit but was planning on using it in the Fox. I don't really want to pull the axles out, but i know it's no big deal.

One question about the rotors. Aren't they supposed to be primered in the middle? Every pic i see of someone's install has a blue/green primer in the center of the rotor. Mine are totally bare. I think i'm gonna shoot them with high temp black paint before the install to prevent rust. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Kilgore Trout said:
Ain't nothin wring with replacing worn parts :shrug:

My front brakes were getting pretty worn (I drive hard) and when i priced out quality peices (replacement Brembos and Motorcraft pads) for replacements, it just made more sense to spend a little more for the 13" kit. I paid $340/shipped for the kit with SS lines.

Plus i wanted the look of big brakes inside my bullitt wheels :)

Yes, you can even use your stock brake lines if you wanted. Since it comes with the SS lines i'll use em anyway but the 99-04 GT/V6 lines will work with Cobra calipers. In fact, it's the same brake line.

stangGT97 said:
you have to pull the axles to upgrade the rear brakes? gah thats annoying. why is that?

Because you need to swap the axle brackets to the larger Cobra brackets. They bolt to the rear and the axle passes through.

View attachment 450003

GT brackets on left, Cobra brackets on right.

The good thing is the kit is dirt cheap. Only $175.

I already have the kit, but i was planning on putting it on my Fox. I can't make up my mind if i should put it on my GT instead and put my stock GT brakes on my Fox since it's much lighter.

The rear kit comes with rotors, anti-moan brackets, dust shields, axles brackets. You can reuse your stock GT calipers with some grinding.
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=477

Wow! Educate me - what's the difference between the stock calipers that come on the 2003 GT stock and the Mach 1 calipers in the kit you bought? Are the Cobra calipers any different? These are super reasonable prices . . . might have to jump on that deal myself.

stangGT97 said:
ohhh I thought Mustang5L5 was making reference to his GT, not the Fox, when he said he wasnt sure if he wanted to pull the axles out.

Yeah it's not so much me deciding if i would rather use the rear cobra kit on my Fox or my GT, but rather if i really want to go through the hassle of pulling the rear axles out and actually installing it. A big factor is that when i eventually sell the car, i plan on returning it to stock..so i'll have to pull them again to put the stock brakes back :shrug:

I could get that baer 13" rear kit. You can get it in a plain faced rotor and no need to pull the axles. Downside if i hear they make noise and the e-brake sucks :shrug:

Decisions decisions

btw..here's two install articles if you guys want to see what is involved.

FRONT

REAR

damacman said:
Wow! Educate me - what's the difference between the stock calipers that come on the 2003 GT stock and the Mach 1 calipers in the kit you bought? Are the Cobra calipers any different? These are super reasonable prices . . . might have to jump on that deal myself.

Mach 1 calipers are the same as Cobra calipers and Bullitt calipers. It's just the different colors and lettering on each. Just pick whatever style you like the best, they are all the same caliper. Even the aftermarket Baer caliper is the same.

The stock GT/V6 caliper is made by PBR and has two 44.5mm pistons and a pretty large pad. The Cobra-style caliper has twin 40mm pistons, and a slightly smaller pad area.

The biggest impact is the rotors. The GT/V6 uses a 10.9" rotor while the Cobra setup is 13" and thicker as well. It will give greater clamping force and resist fade.

My stock GT brakes are pretty damn good, they always slow me down when i need to, but sometimes on the highway if i slow down at high speed for an off-ramp i can feel them start to fade towards the end of the ramp. Hopefully the 13" kit should help that problem. I'll let you know as soon as i install!