Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

I had my machine shop take care of the recessing of the shifter plate for me. I'm glad they did it for me. He said the casting wasn't exactly top notch and two of the corners broke when he was machining them. He had to weld them back into place and then machine the bottom true again. Better him than me! $20 saved me what probably would have been a headache.
DSC_4135_zpssulczain.jpg

The area where the front shifter bolts hit was cut away to allow access to the whole shifter from inside the car. The recessed bolts will allow me to not have to hack up more of the trans tunnel than I needed to.
DSC_4138_zpsmqmqwgm5.jpg

DSC_4137_zps3bk4dbky.jpg

Flywheel went in. This is an SFI billet steel flywheel from RPM. $150 shipped. They apparently make the flywheels for a lot of the big name brands who just add another $100 to the price. Same stuff, just without a fancy sticker in the box.
DSC_4143_zpsfcjcmstg.jpg

Ceramic disc and floater plate.
DSC_4144_zpszfawnx27.jpg

Organic disc and pressure plate.
DSC_4145_zpsnxul6rwl.jpg

And just a view that I thought was cool.
DSC_4155_zpszyqxwbn8.jpg

The current situation. Rear end is out so I can have the pinion preload re-adjusted after installing a 1350 strap yoke to replace the 1330 pinion flange yoke.
DSC_4153_zpsvt2z2zuy.jpg

As usual your work is turning out amazing.curious to see how it performs.. I have an off topic question- what brand is your lift and how high will it raise?

• Sponsors (?)

Why in God's name, does this feel like the first space docking of Skylab?

Anyone?

Ok, here's a hint:

dsc_4106_zpsqy4ldpuc-jpg.550150.jpg

docking.jpg

dsc_4137_zps3bk4dbky-jpg.550859.jpg

dsc_4143_zpsfcjcmstg-jpg.550860.jpg

FM-2011-how-things-work-2-FLASH.jpg

dsc_4144_zpszfawnx27-jpg.550861.jpg

800px-Skylab_4_undocking.jpg

dsc_4155_zpszyqxwbn8-jpg.550863.jpg

5239669_orig.jpg

Juss sayin'.

You probably don't even recall how many of the images were from THIS thread or how many were not. :p

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0gmRFlhz-fDYwjDjorPtdocEK3ZbSioLDnppQPuCgdxls5lo-.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0gmRFlhz-fDYwjDjorPtdocEK3ZbSioLDnppQPuCgdxls5lo-.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
As usual your work is turning out amazing.curious to see how it performs.. I have an off topic question- what brand is your lift and how high will it raise?
Thanks. The lift is called MaxJax. It lifts around 4'. Perfect for getting around under the car on a short stool. I have a beam across my garage ceiling that is at 9'. Fully lifted, the car roof sits about 6" away from the beam.

Reactions: 1 users
Only you would find that correlation, noobz. Hah!

Can you put the GoPro on the nose of the input shaft when you make the video for installation?

Race: *chzk* *beep* Houston, we are go for docking.

Houston: *chzk* *beep* Roger Race-oh (sounds like ratio), call the ball.

Race: *chzk* *beep* Azimuth +10 degrees, advancing throttles in... 3... 2...

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks. The lift is called MaxJax. It lifts around 4'. Perfect for getting around under the car on a short stool. I have a beam across my garage ceiling that is at 9'. Fully lifted, the car roof sits about 6" away from the beam.
I've got 10' to the trusses in my shop. You're saying this would be adequate? I really don't want to be cutting and boxing in trusses if there is a better solution and I definitely like your lift

Edit: they appear to be really popular with corvette guys and plenty of pictures of them in standard size 2 car garages.
Definitely something to look into.

I've got 10' to the trusses in my shop. You're saying this would be adequate? I really don't want to be cutting and boxing in trusses if there is a better solution and I definitely like your lift

Edit: they appear to be really popular with corvette guys and plenty of pictures of them in standard size 2 car garages.
Definitely something to look into.
You would be fine with 10' height. The Mustang goes all the way up in my garage, I just can't lift my Explorer to the very top.

908aa5695e2d0133f394048073d8b1bf.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
For those are of that are familiar with the T56, reverse is next to 5th gear, and there is a lockout solenoid that needs to be wired up to allow the transmission to shift into reverse. Some people just muscle the shifter into the reverse by overpowering the solenoid and others wire the solenoid to the brake light so it can only activate when the brake pedal is pushed. I wasn't a big fan of either option, and preferred that the solenoid act like it does from the factory via a signal from the computer that only allows the solenoid to operate under a certain speed. Enter Accutach. This little guy will take the VSS feed and only let the solenoid open under 3-5mph.

DSC_4141_zpsmhyjzf95.jpg

I mounted it to a conveniently placed factory hole near the crossmember mount, and wired it into the wiring near the trans. I just need to fish a single wire to a switched 12V source somewhere inside the car.
DSC_4163_zpskh6cjzi5.jpg

DSC_4167_zpssqsl0iq7.jpg

Got the bellhousing mounted up as well. The downpipe came out so I could cut away a tab of the bellhousing near the starter mount. The downpipe was rubbing the trans tunnel, so this should give me a little more clearance.
DSC_4157_zpsxn9ie8ot.jpg

Here you can see where I clearanced the sheet metal around the shifter hole. Once I pull the carpet inside the car, I'll cut out notches in the top so I can access the shifter holes from inside the car. The shifter needs to be removed in order to remove or install the trans.
DSC_4159_zpsffzqccfe.jpg

I did get the trans installed in its final resting place. It put up a fight for a while trying to get everything aligned, but it eventually cooperated. Thank goodness for a transmission jack. Once I get the pinion done in the rear end, I'll be able to get everything back together underneath the car.

Reactions: 3 users
Project anti-bling was a success. Painted pretty much all the parts I wanted to this weekend. I seriously love this wrinkle paint. It just has a unique look.

DSC_3160_zps0f41527c.jpg

DSC_3161_zpsc4fc030c.jpg

DSC_3162_zps41a5d221.jpg

DSC_3163_zpseaa01408.jpg

DSC_3166_zps4ca2561c.jpg

DSC_3171_zps1394e2e6.jpg

DSC_3170_zps3e63cebb.jpg

The only other part I may do is the alternator. I really don't want to take it apart, so I'll have to look into if it's okay to paint it while it's together. The only bling left in the engine bay should be the pulleys and accessory brackets. Here's the last picture I took when everything was together. Gives you an idea of what has been painted and what will stay.
DSC_3121_tonemapped_zpsc4ce0d84.jpg

Hey Scott, so first off how's the paint holding up, and second what brand is it and where can I find it? I've got my TFS heads at the machine shop getting checked out and decked and a GT40 tubular intake that needed tons of clean up. So I'm at the point where I can paint it all silver again, or go wrinkle black which I think might be pretty cool on the tubular intake and valve covers.

Hey Scott, so first off how's the paint holding up, and second what brand is it and where can I find it? I've got my TFS heads at the machine shop getting checked out and decked and a GT40 tubular intake that needed tons of clean up. So I'm at the point where I can paint it all silver again, or go wrinkle black which I think might be pretty cool on the tubular intake and valve covers.

Paint has held up great. It's VHT wrinkle black. I believe it has a 350 degree rating. I don't prime anything either. Scuff, clean, and spray. I baked the smaller parts in an oven afterwards.

A guy like you doesn't have a jackshaft motor for your garage door ?? It'll get that motor off the ceiling and maybe a little more room with that lift.
The car clears the garage door opener. It's the beam across the ceiling that is the lowest part. Even with that there, the roof of the car still clears it when the lift is at its max height.

I posted a slightly different version of this picture here, but one of my photography neighbors went to town in photoshop and made a very sweet edit of the car. Those of you on social media have seen this one before.

IMG_3862_edelman%202_zpscgtlndpz.jpg

Reactions: 8 users