Water Pump Backing Plate

I am in the process of changing my water pump. The water pump backing plate pulled loose from the timing chain cover when I was removing the old water pump. The gasket between the backing plate and the timing cover is intact. Can I clean off the gasket and just brush some permatex on the timing cover gasket and then bolt the backing plate and my new water pump on? What would I use to clean off the gasket that is between the backing plate and timing chain cover and not end up destroying the gasket? I don't want to take the backing plate off because I would need to remove the shroud and the radiator in order to pull off the pulley from the drive shaft.
My engine is a 351 cobra-jet Cleveland in a 1972 Mustang Mach 1.

• Sponsors (?)

Attachments

• 20230622_132523.jpg
    20230622_132523.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 57
The gasket is firmly attached all around the timing cover. There are no pits in the gasket, the gasket is flat as can be. I felt all around the water pump backing plate and there is no gasket residue. It is hard to get a decent photo showing the gasket.

So the timing chain 'cover' is part of the block. That plate is both the timing chain cover and backing plate for the water pump.

I was curious of the condition of the water side of the plate (where the word plate is written), the back side sees oil off the timing chain.

If it were my car, I'd pull the radiator (you've already drained it), pull the crank balancer and pull the plate. Clean both sides, replace both gaskets and reinstall. The reason I would do it if it were mine is because my luck would have it leaking and I'd pull it all back apart to do it all over again.

If I pulled it, I'd also probably clean and epoxy paint the water pump side of the plate fo prevent further corrosion.

If you do decide to go forward with your plan of not taking it off, be sure to put ABBA's "Take a chance on me" on loop on the garage soundsystem. ;)

Inked351c.jpg

• PlusOne
Reactions: 1 user
So the timing chain 'cover' is part of the block. That plate is both the timing chain cover and backing plate for the water pump.

I was curious of the condition of the water side of the plate (where the word plate is written), the back side sees oil off the timing chain.

If it were my car, I'd pull the radiator (you've already drained it), pull the crank balancer and pull the plate. Clean both sides, replace both gaskets and reinstall. The reason I would do it if it were mine is because my luck would have it leaking and I'd pull it all back apart to do it all over again.

If I pulled it, I'd also probably clean and epoxy paint the water pump side of the plate fo prevent further corrosion.

If you do decide to go forward with your plan of not taking it off, be sure to put ABBA's "Take a chance on me" on loop on the garage soundsystem. ;)

Inked351c.jpg

I could not agree more. I mean... I'd be pissed that it had gotten this far already, I'd throw tools, go chill out, and still make the call to replace the gasket.

Have you found a part number yet?