Well This REALLY SUCKS!!!

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hi All,
Engine vibration at about 1250-1350 RPM. Seems smooth below that RPM and not as noticeable above. The vibration is just enough to feel and almost see in the steering and shake the mirrors on the car. Vibration occurs with manual transmission in or out of gear and clutch pedal up or down and happens when egine is "free wheeling" while sitting still and when driving in gear, same RPM. Here are the engine particulars:

>Brand new (less than 1000 miles since initial fire up) 98-99 Explorer 5.0 purchased from and assembled by a now out of business Ford Motorsports dealer in 2000. I did not pay to have it balanced.
>GT40P heads
>Hyperetic pistons
>B303 cam
>Correct balance 3-bolt pulley conversion damper and flywheel
>Ford (Cobra I think) diaphragm clutch.

I'm not sure if the vibration has been there since fire up, as it was so loud and rumbly with the first 75 or so miles with open headers and then 500-600 miles with cherry bombs on short pipes dumping out the sides in front of the rear wheels. It now has a new Magnaflow exhaust and I guess there is a slight chance of the exhaust causing a resonance issue, but I lean away from that because it is so RPM specific. I will probably try unbolting the exhaust from the headers before pulling the engine, just to see. I've already checked all the easy stuff like removing the fan belt and even removed the front pulley from the damper-no luck. The clutch and flywheel have been R&R-ed twice, to first deal with an oil leak caused by a dumb a$$ (me) not putting thread sealer on the flywheel bolts and then to replace an improperly installed (by assembler) rear main seal. This leads to a couple of issues/questions:

1-Is there a way to "index" the clutch cover/pressure plate? I notice a yellow paint mark on the pressure plate and a dot on the flywheel stamped in between 2 of the flywheel bolt holes.
2-What's the deal with the only M8-metric clutch cover bolts that I can find not having a shoulder to securely/precisely locate/center the pressure plate. They seem to allow a bit of slop/movement before tightened. It seems that a pressure plate even a couple thousandths off center could cause an imbalance issue?
3-If my only real solution is to pull and disassemble my new engine to have it balanced and reassemble it correctly, will I need to re-ring it and put in new main and rod bearings, or can I safely re-use all the stuf seeing as it's all nearly new? I'm assuming at least all new rod, main and head bolts, as they have already been torqued/stretched?

I really don't want/can't really afford yanking it and the whole process, as the engine runs so strong and well otherwise, but I certainly don't want it to shake itself to pieces! Are there any other simple things to check that I'm not thinking of, or should I just resign myself to the whole R&R/balance process?
Sorry for the long post.
TIA For Any & All Thoughts/Comments/Advice,
Gene

• Sponsors (?)

The first thing that comes to my mind is the flywheel, it might be out of balance or maybe the flywheel bolts got loose somehow, happened to me on my chevy, it vibrated soo bad at idle my keys jingled in the ignition, i crawled under and started looking at things, then getting ready to get the engine out of the car, saw the flywheel bolts halfway out....i had forgot to put loc-tite on them, anyway, just a thought, hope its nothing bad

Yep,
Gettin' up the cahones to go out and yank my transmotion as I type. Thanks for the heads up/confirmation. Yes, there are no dowels and I hope I haven't caused any damage in the 600 or so miles without them!:eek:
Thanks Again,
Gene

my chevy was race only, and i probably made 40 passes with it vibrating like that, the only damage it seemed to do was to my rear main, had to replace it. It was similar to yours in the way that it would smooth out at higher rpm. After i fixed it it did great. Good luck.

Welllll,
It's a 10.5" clutch that requires the dowels, so:
1> I pulled the transmission and reinstalled the clutch with a Ford Racing dowel and bolt kit,
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6082
the vibration was still there, but changed a little bit.

2> After removing and inspecting the harmonic balancer, I found that the sonmabitch who sold me the engine gave me a 28 oz. balancer (because I needed a three bolt unit for my pulley ) so I bought and installed a Professional Products 50 oz. balancer
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-80007/ that accepts three AND four bolt pulleys. STILL NO LOVE! Vibration is still at it's worst around 1200 RPM and a little worse than it was above that, but smooth as could be at idle thru 1100 RPM.

3> After realizing that I got hosed on the balancer I pried the block plate forward to inspect the engine side of the flywheel only to find that it is indeed a 50 oz. Pioneer unit, so..... now I think I'm FiretrUCKED!

Questions:

A. Is there any chance that some of the latest (97 or so thru 01) Explorer 5.0 engines sold thru Ford Motorsports may have been internally balanced requiring a zero balance flywheel and harmonic balancer?

B> Am I missing something here? Could my vibration be caused by a timing chain/sprocket issue or something else in the valve train?

C> Can the pistons, rods and crankshaft that, are all standard Ford issue, actually be so far out of balance with each other to cause my problem?

I'm really stumped on this one. I've come so far on this car and spent so much $$$$ and time and I don't have the $500-$600 that it will cost to tear the engine apart, have it balanced and reassemble it. I really don't want to have to park the car in the side yard while the weather is so gorgeous in the winter here in Las Vegas! All help and thoughts are sincerely appreciated.
Thank You,
Gene

do you know what weight your flywheel is? 28 & 50 oz cranks use different flywheel weights. you could have a stock 50 crank and 50 damper and 28 oz flywheel. summit racing sells flywheels with interchangable 28 & 50 weights included. may be a cheap fix.
i skimmed through your posts and didnt see you mention the flywheel weight.

bikefreak,
Yeah, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

"3> After realizing that I got hosed on the balancer I pried the block plate forward to inspect the engine side of the flywheel only to find that it is indeed a 50 oz. Pioneer unit, so..... now I think I'm FiretrUCKED!"

It was a long post, so I can't blame ya for missing it.:rlaugh: I'm afraid the solution isn't gonna be cheap Or easy.:(
Thanks,
Gene