What am I doing wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

3500 launch on street tires while sliping the clutch..... wow, ur clutch must HATE you... MY technique is similar, but I come of at idle, second light (.500 tree) I start to slip the clutch and apply throttle at the same time, come out and almost bog it off the line. I say almost b/c like state above u want to get rolling before u start to spin. once ur rolling, apply throttle as needed with minimal tire spin. This was all on a 4.30 geared car and I actually found it easier to keep the tire spin down with low gears as comparted to the 3.27's from factory. Also with a 255 sumittomo tire. Definitely takes A LOT of practice. good for 1.98 60 foots.....

so with my Mickey Thompson et streets and practice i should pull 1.7 maybe 1.6 60' with no problem.

In my old silver 00 gt....I had bbk lowering springs stock upper and lower control arms....with 275/40/17 Et Street RADIALS on my chrome cobra r wheels I was cutting 1.7 60's bogging launching at 4500.....track prep was ok, not best, but ok. You need to learn to launch a little better still. Back in the day when I had my 91 gt best 60' I cut on street tires was 2.3 :lol: Then I got my 00 gt and learned to drive a little better and on street tires I cut a 1.9 becuase I learned the car and learned how to walk it out of the hole. Then I got the et street radials and dumped the clutch at 4500 and it bogged hard every time and cut 1.7 60's. Just learn and feel your car out a little more. Oh yeah, my et street radials I ran at 15 psi, def. lower your psi!:nice:

Yeah, I'm sure my clutch does hate me, but it's still alive. hehe. It has gotten so much abuse it isn't even funny... nearly 20 passes at the track with high rpm launches, countless street launches, power shifting often, and I even tried to see if I could get started in 4th gear once (did it BTW). Yet, after more than 60k miles and 3 sets of tires, it is still holding on. :nice: Stock replacement.

I can see launching from idle working well for your car. It would never work on mine though. With 3.27 gears and a basically stock NPI engine, I don't have the torque or gearing to power through the low and mid range rpms from idle. Heck, even if I let it drop to 2500 when I'm slipping the clutch, it bogs quite a bit and gives up .1 seconds or more in the 60'.

3500 launch on street tires while sliping the clutch..... wow, ur clutch must HATE you... MY technique is similar, but I come of at idle, second light (.500 tree) I start to slip the clutch and apply throttle at the same time, come out and almost bog it off the line. I say almost b/c like state above u want to get rolling before u start to spin. once ur rolling, apply throttle as needed with minimal tire spin. This was all on a 4.30 geared car and I actually found it easier to keep the tire spin down with low gears as comparted to the 3.27's from factory. Also with a 255 sumittomo tire. Definitely takes A LOT of practice. good for 1.98 60 foots.....

Yeah, try leaving off idle. See what kind of 60' that nets you and slowly increase your launch rpm from there.

By slowly increase the launch rpm, I mean like 500 or so rpm.

tip: You could try removing your front swaybar. It should help weight tranfer a little bit and will shave 10-15lbs off the nose of the car.