What are OEM pony wheels worth?

My '88 came with it's original 10-holes. Back in the 90's, 5-lug swaps were not common so everyone wanted the pony wheels. I remember seeing VERY clean sets selling for $600+. I think I ended up paying $400 or so for my set. I loved the look. I've often debated tracking down a set of 5-lug 17" versions and putting them on for that OEM look.
Yep. I was trying to get a set and never did. I only had teenager money back then. You need to show off your brakes, man. Ponies are the right wheel to hide ugly rear drums, but not a nice shiny set of disc brakes.

• Sponsors (?)

My '88 came with it's original 10-holes. Back in the 90's, 5-lug swaps were not common so everyone wanted the pony wheels. I remember seeing VERY clean sets selling for $600+. I think I ended up paying $400 or so for my set. I loved the look. I've often debated tracking down a set of 5-lug 17" versions and putting them on for that OEM look.

Exactly, I remember guys paying good money for the pony wheels back in the early 90's. They were the wheel to have, though I think that is what played them out. It seemed 9 out of 10 built foxes back then had the pony wheels or chrome pony's around here. I guess I'm weird in that I still like the look of them, but they just won't work for what I'm doing. I always thought a sleeper build with some widened stock pony wheels would look good....

You really have me thinking about the hose reel idea. With 4 wheels I could use one as an air hose reel in my garage and use the others as water hose holders around the house..... I also have spare spindles and such that I could use to rig them up. Not sure what the girl would think about this idea, but she's a mustang girl so she might go for it. I would want them to look nice and be fully functional. hmmmmmmmmmm

You need to show off your brakes, man. Ponies are the right wheel to hide ugly rear drums, but not a nice shiny set of disc brakes.

I know. That's reason why I haven't done it. I like my current wheels, but aren't exactly in love with them. The more I think about it, the more I feel there will be another wheel going on my car at some point. Just unsure what route I want to take. Something non-Ford?

You really have me thinking about the hose reel idea. With 4 wheels I could use one as an air hose reel in my garage and use the others as water hose holders around the house..... I also have spare spindles and such that I could use to rig them up. Not sure what the girl would think about this idea, but she's a mustang girl so she might go for it. I would want them to look nice and be fully functional. hmmmmmmmmmm

I still have yet to do it. I've got the wheel cleaned up and scotchbrited. Just need to get some argent paint and clearcoat to restore it, and a nice centercap. Then just an issue of mounting it up. Unsure if i'm going to actually make it spin or just mount the wheel on the wall and loop the hose around. Either way, it's likely a winter project now as spring is here and I want to be outside working on the yard/house or driving the Mustang

I still have yet to do it. I've got the wheel cleaned up and scotchbrited. Just need to get some argent paint and clearcoat to restore it, and a nice centercap. Then just an issue of mounting it up. Unsure if i'm going to actually make it spin or just mount the wheel on the wall and loop the hose around. Either way, it's likely a winter project now as spring is here and I want to be outside working on the yard/house or driving the Mustang

Seems to me that would be a spring project so you could wrap your hose around it now that you'll be using it.