what to do... what to do

Mustang_GT_02

Mar 24, 2004
I want to start modifying the car now, idk what to do tho, i will have around 1500 - 2000 to work with, it is my daily driver it is stick, but idk where to start upgrading, my friend has an SRT-4 04, n he talks **** to everyone everyday everytime, i dont say anything he always talk smack, n he thinks hes the best because he beat my friends RX-8 stick, and my other friends car G35 (auto), next on his list is me, but not for a while he is stock, execpt a BOV, so what upgrades should i do to beat him? i wanna show the reall power of the mustang :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

CAI or K&N filter & removed silencer....Accufab 75mm tb....an off-road "x" or "h" pipe with mils + flowmasters...gears (4.10 or 4.30 only) ummm....lt headers....lowering springs or do it the cheap way and pay an auto shop to cut ur springs for $100... then heads + cam then finally spray it with 100-150 shot of nx....

of course 2 grand won't cover this...but this is what I will be doing to my car...I already have a CAI...exhaust system....lowered, next is gears then heads+cam....then headers

For $2000.00 you can get moderate hp gains but if I were you I'd hold out for a S/C. It's the best bang for your buck and your buddy with the SRT-4 would have nothing to say but... damb! :nice: Bolt ons are nice but a S/C tells people you mean business as far as power gains go.

If you slap a S/C on a stock motor with no bottom end work done you asking ur car to go BOOM! really soon...you will end up spending more money on the s/c....do heads+cam and spray it....lots cheaper and its not constantly beating on ur motor...its there when u need it, just hit a button!

sc kit = 2,000+ install will be alot...and u risk ur motor blowing....good heads = 2,000 + cam i dunno and spray will be around 1,000-1,500 for a good nx kit with genx2 upgrade......maybe a little more than an sc for all 3 of these but more worth the while and u will get more hp out of ur motor..than with an sc

TrevX said:
CAI or K&N filter & removed silencer....Accufab 75mm tb....an off-road "x" or "h" pipe with mils + flowmasters...gears (4.10 or 4.30 only) ummm....lt headers....lowering springs or do it the cheap way and pay an auto shop to cut ur springs for $100... then heads + cam then finally spray it with 100-150 shot of nx....

of course 2 grand won't cover this...but this is what I will be doing to my car...I already have a CAI...exhaust system....lowered, next is gears then heads+cam....then headers

CAI- waste of money, minimal gains
75mmTB-waste of money for stock motor.
cut springs-rice way of lowering car, unsafe and can easily be messed up.
lowering springs-will not help you in a drag race. If you want springs for your car and plan to get low 60' times and traction, you need Fox body springs. 4 cyl. in the rear, V8 in the front. Other suspension upgrades that will help reduce E.T. are UCAs/LCAs and subframes.

weight reduction is a key factor as well. Rear seat delete, remove spare/jack/wood flooring of trunk, passenger seat are easy enough to do.

TrevX said:
If you slap a S/C on a stock motor with no bottom end work done you asking ur car to go BOOM! really soon...you will end up spending more money on the s/c....do heads+cam and spray it....lots cheaper and its not constantly beating on ur motor...its there when u need it, just hit a button!

sc kit = 2,000+ install will be alot...and u risk ur motor blowing....good heads = 2,000 + cam i dunno and spray will be around 1,000-1,500 for a good nx kit with genx2 upgrade......maybe a little more than an sc for all 3 of these but more worth the while and u will get more hp out of ur motor..than with an sc

its all in the tune. a safe tune will allow you to run a s/c safely on the stock bottom end. Call Tim at Modular Ford Powerhouse (Cobrakiller on the boards) and he can get you a sick KB setup and tune or one of the Mongoose kits that they offer. Do a search and you will see the amazing work that they perform. 400 rwhp is do-able on a stock motor with a good tune.

$600 for Nitrous Express EFI Kit plus a window switch

$300 for BFG DRs (275/40/17 for stock wheels).

$100 timing adjuster (dial back the timing for the nitrous shot)

WHAMO, mid 12 second car that can deal with most every Neon/WRX/LS1 on the street.

I would either hold out for a supercharger or buy some 4.10s and a new exhaust setup. I dont understand why you would want to destroy your car to win a race like some of these others are trying to get you to do. Take out the rear seat? Thats just about the most stupid idea I think I ever heard of. You have a nice car don't trash it up for a race. You can still take out the space and stuff and maybe run less gas in the tank. Some Nittos drag radials will make sure you get him from the start. I think the most important thing to have is gears.

woow... i didnt think i would need that much to beat an srt-4, it doesnt seem that much faster then the mustang, and i dont want to put in nitros in my car, so i still dont know what to do haha this just confused me more then helped me

Full exhaust(LT's,offraod crosssover& catback), 4.10's, shifter, & drag radials will put you well ahead of a stock SRT-4 if you can drive worth a damn.

Nitrous is sort of the lame way out, if you ask me. Do you really feel you need a power adder to beat a fwd turbo 4 banger, especially if its stock? They run low 14's on average, at about 99mph when stock. Modded the ycan be made very quick, but they arent untouchable by an intelligently modded and well driven 99+ 5 speed.

jtkz13 said:
Full exhaust(LT's,offraod crosssover& catback), 4.10's, shifter, & drag radials will put you well ahead of a stock SRT-4 if you can drive worth a damn.

Nitrous is sort of the lame way out, if you ask me. Do you really feel you need a power adder to beat a fwd turbo 4 banger, especially if its stock? They run low 14's on average, at about 99mph when stock. Modded the ycan be made very quick, but they arent untouchable by an intelligently modded and well driven 99+ 5 speed.

thank you, i thought all hope was lost when i saw that i needed that much just to beat an srt-4, sure i would like to use all my money but i also wanna kno how much i need to just beat it

Mustang_GT_02 said:
thank you, i thought all hope was lost when i saw that i needed that much just to beat an srt-4, sure i would like to use all my money but i also wanna kno how much i need to just beat it

Well now heres the real question. In your first post you state that you want to start modding so everyone just added their 2 cents what you should do. If you just want to beat it then you don't have to do anything. A Mustang should beat an SRT-4 drivers even. Do not start from a roll and shift in the power band and you should pull on him everytime. If you want to make the race seem even more one sided get the gears and the tires. But I like xpipe, catback and gears myself.

Z28 KILR said:
Well now heres the real question. In your first post you state that you want to start modding so everyone just added their 2 cents what you should do. If you just want to beat it then you don't have to do anything. A Mustang should beat an SRT-4 drivers even. Do not start from a roll and shift in the power band and you should pull on him everytime. If you want to make the race seem even more one sided get the gears and the tires. But I like xpipe, catback and gears myself.

alright true, so i guess it was 2 questions in one, first what to do to beat an srt-4, and second what would you do w/ $ 1500-2000 ? k thx n sry :hail2: