Which will have better street manners: E303 or F303 cam? Something else?

foxfan, that definitely helps. thanks for taking the time to type all of that.

ok, so I'll rule out the e-cam. if the powerband on the f-cam is 2800-5800 or so, I'm afraid that advancing it to bring it down will make the cam fall on its face up around 5k. I am really looking for some off-idle power. I really miss how this car felt before I starting ****ing with it.

I'll throw the stocker in for now, and I promise, I'll talk to a custom cam grinder when I get a turbo :) anyway, throwing the stock cam in will leave some money for the 3G that my car desperately needs.

thanks to everyone for the feedback, I definitely appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

Stock cam and 1.72 rocker arms

I say steeda 18 or 19, both work extremely well on forced induction and should cause no drivability issues whatsoever.

I can not suggest the Steeda #18 because the stock cam is a beater turbo cam.

The stock cam and 1.72 rocker arms gives: more intake and exhaust duration, nicer lobe separation, and close to the same lift!

Stock 5.0 HO
* Lift .477 w/1.72 Rockers
* Duration 266° @ 0.050 intake
* Duration 266° @ 0.050 exhaust
* Lobe Separation 116°

Steeda #18
* Lift .480 w/1.6 Rockers
* Duration 220° @ 0.050 intake
* Duration 226° @ 0.050 exhaust
* Lobe Separation 112°

I can not suggest the Steeda #18 because the stock cam is a beater turbo cam.

The stock cam and 1.72 rocker arms gives: more intake and exhaust duration, nicer lobe separation, and close to the same lift!

Stock 5.0 HO
* Lift .477 w/1.72 Rockers
* Duration 266° @ 0.050 intake
* Duration 266° @ 0.050 exhaust
* Lobe Separation 116°

Steeda #18
* Lift .480 w/1.6 Rockers
* Duration 220° @ 0.050 intake
* Duration 226° @ 0.050 exhaust
* Lobe Separation 112°

the duration specs you posted for the stock cam are wrong. you posted the 266 as .050 and thats not correct. heck the B-cam has only 224* @.050 the F has 226

the .050 specs for the stock cam is 214* on the intake and 210* on the exhaust

the steeda 18 has more duration

foxfan, that definitely helps. thanks for taking the time to type all of that.

ok, so I'll rule out the e-cam. if the powerband on the f-cam is 2800-5800 or so, I'm afraid that advancing it to bring it down will make the cam fall on its face up around 5k. I am really looking for some off-idle power. I really miss how this car felt before I starting ****ing with it.

I'll throw the stocker in for now, and I promise, I'll talk to a custom cam grinder when I get a turbo :) anyway, throwing the stock cam in will leave some money for the 3G that my car desperately needs.

thanks to everyone for the feedback, I definitely appreciate it.

advancing it would bring it down but it wouldnt do it as bad as your thinking. IIRC i was told 4 deg adv would bring the power down around 400 rpm or something. dont quote me on that.

and the stocker WILL give you the off idle power your looking for. the stock cam was probably the best thing the 5.0 HO engines in the mustangs had.

good luck with it!

For a nice street cam with a little lope, The E cam is hard to beat. I would suggest a TFS stage 1 as another nice mild cam in the street category but I don't know how well it responds to boost.
Kevin

i run the steeda # 18 cam with 1.6 rockers. I will tell you there is a substantial loss in low end grunt. Thats not to say it doesnt pull away cleanly from 1500 rpm...but much less than 1500 is shaky. It pulls excellently from 2500 clean through 6000. But the low end grunt just is not what the stock cam will give you.

I do get decent gas mileage however...about 16-18 in mixed city driving..and 24-26mpg on the highway driving at 75-80 with 3.73's. not too shabby.

I should mention i tune the car myself with a tweecer. im sure that helps to some degree.

Maybe because he already said he didnt want to spend over $200?

Or perhaps because you can exceed the limits of the stock block with both the stocker or alphabet cam...and the money is most likely better spent elsewhere. :nice:

Seriously, both the stock and f cam would be an excellent choice for turbo applications. The f-303 is great if you upgrade the heads and shift the powerband up to near 6000rpm. The turbo will more than make up for the loss of any lower end torque...and the cam will help the heads flow what they are supposed to. By doing this, you can maximize your combo and reduce the amount of boost you will have to run. This in turn can help relieve some stress on the stock block....as it's going to be hurting.

I myself run the f303 with 1.7 rr's on track heat heads and stock pistons and couldn't be happier! :nice:

Or perhaps because you can exceed the limits of the stock block with both the stocker or alphabet cam...and the money is most likely better spent elsewhere. :nice:

Seriously, both the stock and f cam would be an excellent choice for turbo applications. The f-303 is great if you upgrade the heads and shift the powerband up to near 6000rpm. The turbo will more than make up for the loss of any lower end torque...and the cam will help the heads flow what they are supposed to. By doing this, you can maximize your combo and reduce the amount of boost you will have to run. This in turn can help relieve some stress on the stock block....as it's going to be hurting.

I myself run the f303 with 1.7 rr's on track heat heads and stock pistons and couldn't be happier! :nice:

Thanks for going a little bit further for me, I was in a rush earlier so I just made a fast post.

I have the "F" cam in a car that has a set of AFR 165CC's, and I don't find it to be all that wild. I think that pretty much gets spoken into existance, mainly because of the adds in catalogs like "Summit" that say it's a rougher idle. The one thing I do know about this cam is that it creeps up on you quickly as you hit the high RPM range (5K and above), which is what you would be looking for with forced induction.

In the process now of putting the new NOVI SL on. We'll see how it goes.