Who's Running A Cleveland?

For the cost of a Cleveland vs the cost of a Windsor... The Windsor wins every single time. A friend of mine has a small fortune wrapped up in his 408 cleveland stroker with a badass set of aluminum heads and it runs no better than a 357 windsor with a set of old beat up high ports

• Sponsors (?)

For the cost of a Cleveland vs the cost of a Windsor... The Windsor wins every single time. A friend of mine has a small fortune wrapped up in his 408 cleveland stroker with a badass set of aluminum heads and it runs no better than a 357 windsor with a set of old beat up high ports
I guess I forgot to mention I was looking at a clevor build, not that it would change anything

I just read a large write up on on this about a year ago from one of the magazines. There are fuel injection intakes and everything available now. They were using smaller heads than those and making almost 600hp on pump gas with a 400M bottom end. They tested the flow on the Aluminum heads against the stock 4V heads, and they flowed substantially more with a smaller intake port; theoretically producing more top end power without sacrificing any low end power to slugish air velocity. I believe they were using one of the 190cc heads. Probably the Edelbrocks. I have no doubt the big TF heads are even better. If you are doing a junkyard build then I understand using stock iron heads, but with the cost of building a new engine today I wouldn't be able to justify spending a little extra to get the best head castings available. It doesn't work out to a whole lot more money in the long run.

Kurt

I was just kicking around the idea of making a clevor on the cheap. I know @NIKwoaC always talked them up. Stock bottom end W, $500 pistons, DIY FI intake, $500 in cam/valvetrain. Nothing fancy, just a cool factor that makes a few more HP than what I have now and on the cheap. Not to mention - You could do a solid roller setup and take it to 7-7500 rpm and it'll really honk from what I've read between last night and today. Please feel free to correct any misinformation.

I was just kicking around the idea of making a clevor on the cheap. I know @NIKwoaC always talked them up. Stock bottom end W, $500 pistons, DIY FI intake, $500 in cam/valvetrain. Nothing fancy, just a cool factor that makes a few more HP than what I have now and on the cheap. Not to mention - You could do a solid roller setup and take it to 7-7500 rpm and it'll really honk from what I've read between last night and today. Please feel free to correct any misinformation.

yes you can build them cheap because the heads are cheap. basic 2v geads but you want to run rhe aussie cleveland heads because they have a better and smaller combustion chamber so you can run flat top pisrons.

flatlander racing might be cheap for pistons.

if you use the us 2v heads then you can run a lightly larger intake valve.

if you port them a little they will flow a lot but work decent as is for a moderate build.

hgj
there is nothing in the world wrong with 4v heads on a cleveland. i have had a ton of them and several boss 351's which was one of the fastest production cars in the us in 71 and i can assure you, they haul ass.

if you're an rpm freak, i would get some lite weight scat i beam rods and lite weight rods and lite weight intake valves from manley. it will turn more rpm and build rpm more quickly than with stock stuff.

as far as wanting a clevor for nastalgia, they never had efi on them so adding that eliminates the nostalgia factor in which case i would just use windsor 4v heads and cheaper kb hyper pistons.

Last edited:
yes you can build them cheap because the heads are cheap. basic 2v geads but you want to run rhe aussie cleveland heads because they have a better and smaller combustion chamber so you can run flat top pisrons.

flatlander racing might be cheap for pistons.

if you use the us 2v heads then you can run a lightly larger intake valve.

if you port them a little they will flow a lot but work decent as is for a moderate build.

hgj
there is nothing in the world wrong with 4v heads on a cleveland. i have had a ton of them and several boss 351's which was one of the fastest production cars in the us in 71 and i can assure you, they haul ass.

if you're an rpm freak, i would get some lite weight scat i beam rods and lite weight rods and lite weight intake valves from manley. it will turn more rpm and build rpm more quickly than with stock stuff.

as far as wanting a clevor for nastalgia, they never had efi on them so adding that eliminates the nostalgia factor in which case i would just use windsor 4v heads and cheaper kb hyper pistons.
I'm too young for nostalgia (being 27.) I'd do it to be different.

I found a place that sells adapter plates that lets you run C heads and W intakes. Pricey, and I bet they can be made at home cheaper.

http://www.pricemotorsport.com
Trick Flow offers a lower intake without the need for adapters in either a 351C:

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-516L0114&autoview=sku

Or Clevor Variant:

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-516L0115&autoview=sku

Your can pair the lower with either the R Series Upper:

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-515U1103&autoview=sku

Or Box R Series Upper:

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-515U1108&autoview=sku

Most guys will make their own EFI intake. Here are a few examples:

LanceNIsts351CEFITunnelRam.jpg

351elbow1.jpg

432%20Ford%20EFI%20P2.JPG

Crossram anyone?
crossram2.jpg

I'm into my build for no more than a comparable 351W build and am utilizing a set of 4V Closed Chamber heads.

Attachments

• LanceNIsts351CEFITunnelRam.jpg
    LanceNIsts351CEFITunnelRam.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 351elbow1.jpg
    351elbow1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 432%20Ford%20EFI%20P2.JPG
    432%20Ford%20EFI%20P2.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 142
  • crossram2.jpg
    crossram2.jpg