Windsor Jr Heads On A 351.

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I've been a ghost lately around here, but I'm still hoarding parts for various projects I may/may not ever get to. One of those projects is my truck with the 351. I got some Windsor Jrs this weekend for a song and a dance to go with the GT-40 intake.

I was expecting to make 300-310 fwhp. My buddy says I'll only get 30-40 hp which would be 250 fwhp. Surely 30 - 40 is too conservative of a gain on a 351 with E7 heads and an awful truck intake? I may be doing some work to these heads before they go on. that truck needs every bit of 350 hp to move effectively!

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I think you should get a bump in compression with the 58cc chambers. The 180cc intake has to flow a lot better than E7s. If I remember correctly there was a street racer that ran a turbo 347 with Windsor jr's he was in the 10's on boost and I'm pretty sure the motor made 350+ before the turbo. I'll try to dig up the article.

I think you should get a bump in compression with the 58cc chambers. The 180cc intake has to flow a lot better than E7s. If I remember correctly there was a street racer that ran a turbo 347 with Windsor jr's he was in the 10's on boost and I'm pretty sure the motor made 350+ before the turbo. I'll try to dig up the article.
They've been milled, too. But I looked up a flow comparison versus the E7s and they weren't great. Then I read it doesn't take too much work to make them flow better either. Biggest gains come from unshrouding the valves

Reactions: 1 user
302 parts = 302 power. It just may have more torque and/or a lower rpm power band.

What cam you going to run? Iirc, those heads are on par with the tfs/afr stuff, so with one of the common ots cams.....300-350rwhp ish? Don't know how parasitic the truck transmissions are (guessing e4od?).

302 parts = 302 power. It just may have more torque and/or a lower rpm power band.

What cam you going to run? Iirc, those heads are on par with the tfs/afr stuff, so with one of the common ots cams.....300-350rwhp ish? Don't know how parasitic the truck transmissions are (guessing e4od?).
Yeah yeah. But the 351 has E7s on it!! I just need it to be able to pass, not run a number haha

No cam though. It's SD and don't want to mess with drive ability

The Vic Jr. head is the forgotten head. Those are actually incredibly good. It is an old design that outflows a lot of the stuff made today. Stick with them.

Kurt

IMG_1955.JPG

Yeah yeah. But the 351 has E7s on it!! I just need it to be able to pass, not run a number haha

No cam though. It's SD and don't want to mess with drive ability

Talk to a cam guy (not me) and look over the OEM cam for an 86 GT. Recall the 86 heads were junk junk junk... They made up for some of it with the cam. It sounds badass and it's SD.

I recall a thread from a while back where this cam was paired with a set of TMOSS ported E7s where it responded very well.

Imho the hp potential should not be on your mind, torque will be much more important with the weight of that truck. I would put in a torque cam myself.
It makes plenty of torque. Low end does everything I need it to. The problem is on the highway, if I mat the gas, it makes a lot of noise but goes nowhere. Needs more airflow.

Reactions: 1 user
Fiiiiiiine, I'll find a B cam.
+1,000,000 HP

Imho the hp potential should not be on your mind, torque will be much more important with the weight of that truck. I would put in a torque cam myself.
If this was a one if the newer 05+ pigs, I'd agree, but the 80s and 90s trucks are feather weights in comparison (still heavy compared to a fox, but not as obscene as the 6k+ pounds that my 07 and 11 were/are)