Wobble in the rear @ 80+ mph

99svtdlb

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 99 cobra and when I get on it, the car wobbles/weaves in the rear at about 80+ mph as I accelerate. It gets worse as I go faster. What in the world would cause this? Could it just be a bushing? Something with the IRS? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Tire pressure? Could be bushings, but that sounds pretty severe. Another possibility is that you have a loose axle nut. When the rear knuckle recall was done a couple of cars around here were put back on the street without the axle nuts torqued properly (250 ft/lb)

midlifecrisis99cobra said:
Tire pressure? Could be bushings, but that sounds pretty severe. Another possibility is that you have a loose axle nut. When the rear knuckle recall was done a couple of cars around here were put back on the street without the axle nuts torqued properly (250 ft/lb)

Yes, check the axle nut on both sides, also check to make sure the bearing is good. I've heard multiple 99's having wheel bearing failure on the drivers side (including mine!).

Wow, just the thread I was looking for! I have some of the same symptoms with my 2003 Cobra. I took it in to get it aligned and they told me the alignment was all out of whack (I purchased it about 3 weeks ago). They said I would need new struts because mine were shot and that was partly to blame for the alignment. I changed them out myself and brought it back. Now they said that when they put the car up on the lift again, they checked the driver's side rear and it had way too much play in it to even align the car. They said it was the bearing gone bad. Instead of charging me $600 to fix it, they said I could probably do it myself at home, but I may need to press in the new bearing. Does anyone know anything about this job, I am going to go try this tonight? Anyway, the camber on the right rear was not that bad, but the camber on the left rear was +1.5*!!! What have I gotten myself into.:shrug: I love the car but I hope the repairs come to an end soon, as I just bought it!
Any info on this will help tremendously!
Mac

The wheel bearing is an easy fix. Any shop should charge you an hour labor to do the install, perhaps a small additional fee to press the bearing in and out.

You can remove the the hub that has the bearing and take it to a shop to have it changed (press out old, press in new). This should cost you $20 or less. The bearing is around the same price.

tlrdynes said:
Wow, just the thread I was looking for! I have some of the same symptoms with my 2003 Cobra. I took it in to get it aligned and they told me the alignment was all out of whack (I purchased it about 3 weeks ago). They said I would need new struts because mine were shot and that was partly to blame for the alignment. I changed them out myself and brought it back. Now they said that when they put the car up on the lift again, they checked the driver's side rear and it had way too much play in it to even align the car. They said it was the bearing gone bad. Instead of charging me $600 to fix it, they said I could probably do it myself at home, but I may need to press in the new bearing. Does anyone know anything about this job, I am going to go try this tonight? Anyway, the camber on the right rear was not that bad, but the camber on the left rear was +1.5*!!! What have I gotten myself into.:shrug: I love the car but I hope the repairs come to an end soon, as I just bought it!
Any info on this will help tremendously!
Mac

I couldn't find a shop open after 5:00 pm who would press the bearing out for me. Guess it'll have to wait for the weekend. The bearing is definitely shot, but the axle nut wasn't even torqued on at all. This is probably why the bearing is now bad. The bearing from Ford cost me $60. The new nut was $11 that I thought I was going to need to use to torque on the hub, but since the last one wasn't even really used, I may just use it and save one. We'll see.
Mac

Yep, same exact situation happened on my stock IRS. It was either like that from the factory or after the dealer did some service work.

$60?! I guess that is what you get for buying it from Ford instead of the aftermarket ;)

tlrdynes said:
I couldn't find a shop open after 5:00 pm who would press the bearing out for me. Guess it'll have to wait for the weekend. The bearing is definitely shot, but the axle nut wasn't even torqued on at all. This is probably why the bearing is now bad. The bearing from Ford cost me $60. The new nut was $11 that I thought I was going to need to use to torque on the hub, but since the last one wasn't even really used, I may just use it and save one. We'll see.
Mac

djtech said:
Yep, same exact situation happened on my stock IRS. It was either like that from the factory or after the dealer did some service work.

$60?! I guess that is what you get for buying it from Ford instead of the aftermarket ;)

Some things I just want to know that I have the right part the first time so nothing further goes wrong. I probably could have found it from somewhere else with some research, but you never know.
Mac

Huh? It is just a bearing man ;). Murrays, AutoZone, Pep Boys, any local automotive store will have or can easily get bearings for our cars. Same goes for many other parts (another part like that I got locally was a u-joint). I'm lucky, I live within walking distance of a 24hr Murrays so I can get a lot of parts in a pinch!

A lot of times you'll get the same exact part (like Federal Mogul bearings) just much cheaper.

tlrdynes said:
Some things I just want to know that I have the right part the first time so nothing further goes wrong. I probably could have found it from somewhere else with some research, but you never know.
Mac

djtech said:
Huh? It is just a bearing man ;). Murrays, AutoZone, Pep Boys, any local automotive store will have or can easily get bearings for our cars. Same goes for many other parts (another part like that I got locally was a u-joint). I'm lucky, I live within walking distance of a 24hr Murrays so I can get a lot of parts in a pinch!

A lot of times you'll get the same exact part (like Federal Mogul bearings) just much cheaper.

Wow, I can't believe I remember Murrays, I was born in Michigan! Anyway, thanks for the info, I can always learn something. If I had the part number for the timken bearing I would have felt better about Pep Boys. Piece of mind for an extra $30. You live and learn.:bang:
Mac