03 mustang GT does not have IRS?

WallyKilla

Sep 28, 2009
I am shopping around town for shops that can install my lowering springs, and all the shops are telling me that my car has Independant rear suspension and they want to charge me an arm and a leg. I though the cobras came with IRS?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like they either dont know what they're talking about or they're trying to rip you off.

GT's dont have an IRS.

......on second thought, maybe they're confused by the COBRA emblems on your GT :shrug:

I went to 3 shops and they all said that....I told them it does not and they are like well we will charge you 350 to install the springs and I was like WHAT?????
I remember when I had my springs installed in my 5.0 it only cost 125.

I know you had a ruff going , starting out on this forum , but WTF dude your badges are the problem :lol:, you should of dragged them out side and asked them to show you the IRS !

But really , the rear springs take maybe about 20min each to do and the front take 40 or so , and this is if its the first time doing them !

I just changed my rear springs last weekend and it took 30min to get the tires off spring out/in and tires back on with all torqued to spec , not that hard !

Sounds like they either dont know what they're talking about or they're trying to rip you off.

GT's dont have an IRS.

......on second thought, maybe they're confused by the COBRA emblems on your GT :shrug:

Well, I guess the only thing left is to check under the hood and make sure it's not a Cobra

:rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh:

install them yourself. should take less than 2 hours with hand tools

Do you need a spring compressor?

No , crowbar/prybar !

LOL

Im sure it COULD be done with a crowbar, however a spring compressor is MUCH MUCH MUCH safer/easier to use (especially with someone who is not familiar with changing springs). There is a lot of energy stored in those compressed springs and could be quite dangerous. You can rent a spring compressor from any auto parts store for cheap.

Plan on 2-4 hours to do the job with a floor lift and jack stands.

It doesn't take some that long, but your first time wrenching on that car you don't want to rush.

It's pretty easy though.

For the rear, set jack stands under the subframes on each side, lift the car up with a floorjack under the "pumpkin" of the rear end, remove wheels (loosen lugs before car is off the ground).

Disconnect shocks (quads too), and SLOWLY drop the rear axle with the floor jack. The stock springs may need some "persuasion" to come out, but nothing a good yank can't fix. Just make sure the axle is low enough that there is VERY LITTLE tension on the springs. A kick from a loaded spring can break a lot of bones. Reverse method for putting them back together. but pay attention to where the "pigtail" (end of the last coil) sits on the control arm with the stock springs, and install the new springs in the same spot.

For the front, jack the car up and place the jackstands under the front subframes on each side. Loosen the lugs, then put the floor jack under the front a-arm on whichever side you're doing first, lift, remove wheel.

Remove brake caliper, hang out of the way, set brake pads aside (make sure they go on how they came off). Disconnect sway bar links (on both sides), disconnect strut FROM THE BOTTOM (disconnecting it from the engine bay can throw off your alignment).

Once all that is done, slowly lower the floor jack until the a-arm is fully dropped. Remove front spring, again, be careful it is not loaded, and replace with the lowering spring, installing the same way the factory spring was. Jack the a-arm back up and re-connect the strut, re-install brake pads and caliper (make sure the caliper is installed properly and bolted on well!).

Repeat for other side. After both sides are done, reconnect the front sway bar.

Annnndd... enjoy your new springs. That's it in a nutshell.

But holy ****, the Cobra comments had me rolling. Don't take it to heart, we just like to "break in" the new guys sometimes when they leave themselves open...:D

EDIT: You do not NEED a spring compressor to do the job. The shorter aftermarket springs will fit without much hassle, UNLESS you are going with a very minimal drop. I had zero issues literally placing my Roush springs back in, and they are not a large drop by any means. Just be careful when removing the stockers. I am serious when I say you can get hurt by them if they unload on you.

LOL

Im sure it COULD be done with a crowbar, however a spring compressor is MUCH MUCH MUCH safer/easier to use (especially with someone who is not familiar with changing springs). There is a lot of energy stored in those compressed springs and could be quite dangerous. You can rent a spring compressor from any auto parts store for cheap.

Not COULD , CAN :nice: ! but your right someone not familier may need all the help they can get !

just do it yourself, its not hard

+99999999.99999999999999999999
it's easy it's free it makes you feel like a real man doing it yourself
just support the A-arm with floor jack or else the spring will fly out hitting you in the face so
hard you won't be able to taste the difference between s%*t and ice cream or it can turn ur rectum inside out!!! LOL www.americanmuscle.com has nice write up's it helped me
must important make a list of tools/supplies need take ur time be safe:spit: