'05 Mustangs generally selling for MSRP or less...

RICKS

Jun 5, 2003
Ocala, FL
O.K., for all you internet addicts who've been obsessed with believing that every nutty eBay '05 Mustang auction is the barometer for the entire market, who think in some twisted logic that a new GT is a $35,000 car, and that everybody should buy a left-over '04 Cobra..... Here's a new article that shows that folks are finally wising-up to ridiculous mark-ups and poaching, and are having the patience and savvy to stick to their guns and pay a fair price:

DETROIT -- Mustangs are galloping off dealers' lots almost as fast as they are delivered. But the reborn pony car is just trotting on the Internet.

A review this week of dozens of listings on eBay, the online auction site, shows that not only are potential buyers refusing to pay more than sticker price, they are already looking for deals.

Both versions of the new Mustang, the $19,410 V-6 base model and the 300-hp V-8- powered $24,995 GT, are struggling to meet suggested sticker prices on eBay. Some dealers advertising the 2005 Mustang on Auto Trader's Web site are asking slightly below sticker.

This is unusual for a highly anticipated hot car.

Mustang fans have been clamoring for the redesigned Mustang since Ford Motor Co. introduced concept versions at the 2003 Detroit auto show. The 2005 model bears a striking resemblance to the classic, coveted 1969-70 Mach 1.

Keith Martin, publisher of Sports Car Market, a magazine that tracks auction and resale prices of classic, special-interest and high-performance cars, says there is no paradigm shift under way with what consumers are willing to pay for hot new cars.

Also in the crowd

Other vehicles with a lot of buzz, such as the new Chevrolet Corvette, Chrysler 300C and Lotus Elise, also are not selling for more than their sticker prices, even though demand is high and supplies are tight.

With the Mustang, 300C and Corvette, Martin says, prices are hovering near sticker because manufacturers have nailed the actual value of the car when they priced them.

Says Martin: "All manufacturers say their goal is to sell cars without rebates. Part of the way to achieve that is by putting proper price on the car."

Martin also says consumers have finally wised up to the fact that regular production cars usually don't sell for more than their sticker prices for at least 20 years and are not good investments.

In the last few years, such hot cars as the Chrysler PT Cruiser, Nissan 350Z, Mini Cooper and Ford Thunderbird roadster have initially sold for thousands over sticker to buyers who had to be the first on their block to own one.

But the Mustang is bucking that trend.

Friendly Ford in Pittsboro, N.C., received its first two 2005 Mustangs this month, a V-6 model and a GT. The store, near Raleigh, N.C., tried two different marketing approaches for the cars.

Dealer Bob Esau put the V-6 model on the showroom floor and sold it immediately for slightly under sticker. Esau listed his 300-hp GT model on eBay. Five days into a seven-day eBay auction, the car had not drawn a bid, even though it was priced $335 below sticker. Esau says he's surprised the car has not attracted even an opening bid.

"I've had non-stop lookers," he says. "But I think, around here, people are waiting for a deal."

Some dealers and individuals who are asking thousands over sticker for Mustangs, Corvettes, 300Cs and other enthusiast cars also are getting no action at all, according to current and completed auctions on eBay as well as a check of vehicles for sale on Auto Trader's online site.

On the Auto Trader new car Web site, Mustang prices are all over the map. Some dealers are asking more than sticker, some are asking less and some are refusing to list prices in their ads.

Reasons aplenty

There could be many reasons for the lukewarm Internet reception for the new Mustang:
• Sales of rear-wheel-drive sports cars tend to slow during the winter months in Snowbelt states.
• Resale values of domestic cars generally lag those of imports, and paying more than sticker would leave buyers owing more than the vehicle is worth.
• Ford already built more than 16,000 Mustangs and dealers are able to fill orders without customers having to wait more than a few weeks in most cases.
• Because years of heavy incentives have destroyed resale values on many domestic brands, many potential buyers owe so much on their current cars that they can't afford the new Mustang.
• The Mustang is a high-volume car. Ford plans to build somewhere between 160,000 and 180,000 units in 2005.

eBay has been an accurate barometer in sizing up demand for hot vehicles. Pontiac's new GTO tanked on eBay from the outset, with few, if any buyers, willing to pay sticker price. And Pontiac has struggled all year to sell the new version of its fabled rwd muscle car. With the Mini Cooper, buyers often paid as much as $10,000 over sticker price for Cooper S models. The Mini has been a smash with sales exceeding targets every year since 2002.

"I'm a little surprised. The Mustang is such a hot property right now," says Rich Ceppos,publisher of AutoWeek, sister publication of Automotive News. "Maybe eBay isn't right every time."

Jeff Schuster, executive director of global forecasting for J.D. Power and Associates, cites several reasons for the lack of price-bloating Internet interest on the Mustang, Corvette, Lotus Elise and Chrysler 300C.

For one thing, he says, the cars are not unique enough to induce people to pay more than sticker price as buyers have done in the past.

"Go back to the PT Cruiser," Schuster says. "There was nothing else like it when it came out. The Mini Cooper was out of the market for a long time. It was very nostalgic and the volume was limited. The Hummer H2 is very unique product in that price range. There's nothing else on the road like it."

Competition may also be a factor, he says. "It's also the sheer competitiveness of the market. There are a lot of choices out there."

In looking at a vehicle's "buzzworthiness," eBay is an indicator, Schuster said: "It warrants a look certainly, but it is not itself the sole indicator."

Whatever the pricing situation on Internet, there is no doubt the Mustang is hot. Most dealers say they have only one or two cars in stock.

Ford spokesman Dave Reuter says most Mustangs last no more than two or three hours on a dealer's lot. He also says Ford is not concerned about consumers' unwillingness to pay more than sticker price for the car.

"We have enough hard data in the form of orders, sales and days-to-turn to know that this car is very, very strong and that demand is going to stay strong," he says. "There is widespread availability. You can get them. You just have to look around a little bit."

• Sponsors (?)

My local dealer has sold 7 (every non presell one he could get) so far all over invoice. I imagine it will calm down soon though as all the impatient people that had to be the first to get one have thiers.

I told my dealer I would be back in 6 months and he tried to pull the line "dont you want to be the first to have one" . I dont see the point in that, I love mustangs for me not to impress others or be "the first" in my area.

I have a question maybe someone in here can answer.... what is this "xplan" and "dplan" stuff people are talking about???

anyway. One of the dealers here wouldn't budge on the sticker price... so i walked out, and called another. They wouldn't budge on sticker price either. So i called ANOTHER and he immediatley quoted $500 over inv. Smart move. Took that to a different local dealer and he said $400 over inv. I think i've got a good price now, but i want to negotiate a bit more to see if i can do anything else. So, those dealers that wont budge may sell a FEW, but once they run low on morons, they're gonna be sol. If 1/2 are doing sticker and 1/2 are going way lower, i wonder who's going to sell more cars? lol :nonono:

Interesting how this article states that "dealers are able to fill orders without customers having to wait more than a few weeks in most cases." I certainly hope so, but with all this talk about delays, I am skeptical.

In other news, I talked to my dealer yesterday and he said there were no delays on orders taken. There are some commodity shortages, but that will result in fewer stock and retail orders taken by the factory early next year. He made a good point - he said Ford knows about this stuff in advance, and they don't just all of the sudden run out of certain commodities overnight - it is planned for months in advance. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part, as I'm patiently waiting for my GT

My Dad is a Ford Dealer Manager and...

...he says if a dealer is giving up on an opportunity to gain a new customer (someone who may be brand or dealership switching or a first time new car buyer ) because they are trying to stretch out the profit on a single car sale then that dealer is stupid.

Repair rates for any new car ...fixing little things under warranty ..at over $55 an hour paid by the ford company help offset losses in sticker price.

Average repair bills the first year on small things like interior trim repair, rattles or electrical glitches can more than make the difference in sticker profit.

Plus you get the buyer as a customer for other things after the sale...Maybe even other cars!!!

Heck, most dealers would be happy to simply not have to negotiate for once on a car with rebates, special financing or whatever. These price gougers are not good businessmen in the long run it seems. :rolleyes:

i find that hard to believe as people are going to the dealer and paying WAY over invoice. 2 weeks ago GT's had $4100 markup. i went again this week, 2 v6's had $5k markup and the dealer said the GT they just got would get a $5k markup also.

So they ARE selling with the markup.

JonJon said:
i find that hard to believe as people are going to the dealer and paying WAY over invoice. 2 weeks ago GT's had $4100 markup. i went again this week, 2 v6's had $5k markup and the dealer said the GT they just got would get a $5k markup also.

So they ARE selling with the markup.

Just because the dealer told you they sold with a markup over MSRP does NOT mean it's true. What to you expect, the dealer to tell you "Man we really had to give a big discount to get rid of this dog." No way, the dealer will try to convince you that they are selling fore more than they really are.

Ask the dealer to show you the actual bill of sale showing that the customer really paid a $5K markup.

'05 Mustangs generally selling for MSRP or less...

Well, thank the internet and sites like StangNet for this!

Information is POWER. Dealers used to be able to control the information, but now we know MORE than the dealers do. We have the info, We have the power, We will not be stupid enough to pay over MSRP for a new car.

I just bought my 2005 Mustang GT with the Premium Package and I only paid $22,199 for it. The Ford dealer gave me a good price below sticker price because I buy my fleet of Ford pickup trucks from them for my real estate business.

I am shipping my 2005 Mustang GT to Greece where I am going to be driving it when I will be staying there later on this winter and springtime.

351CJ said:
Just because the dealer told you they sold with a markup over MSRP does NOT mean it's true. What to you expect, the dealer to tell you "Man we really had to give a big discount to get rid of this dog." No way, the dealer will try to convince you that they are selling fore more than they really are.

Ask the dealer to show you the actual bill of sale showing that the customer really paid a $5K markup.
If people aren't paying the markup, they wouldn't have raised it from 4k to 5k in 2 weeks.

He knew I wasn't going to buy it, I made it very clear. He wasn't trying to sell the car to me.

this is all a BS marketing strategy by FORD, there are over 185,000 GT coupes and 225,000 V6 coupes that have been produced but not serialized.
they creating the supply and demand scam. wait till july of 05. you will see some serious rebates.

powershots said:
this is all a BS marketing strategy by FORD, there are over 185,000 GT coupes and 225,000 V6 coupes that have been produced but not serialized.
they creating the supply and demand scam. wait till july of 05. you will see some serious rebates.

Where do you get your information on this supposed secret build?

Great post. Don't let the salesmen try to f#$^ you by talking about 'market value'. You can easily get x-plan pricing if you qualify, I got $500 over x-plan, and I've read lots of posts of people paying $1600 below MSRP.

Just call any other dealers in your area and play them against each other. It's what I had to do. Saved me $3 grand from the dealer trying to screw me.

They want to sell you that car...

I hope everyone is reading these posts and realizing that the markup will not last forever. The same thing occurd in 2000 when my father went to buy is Honda S2000. When they first came out dealerships were asking and getting 5k over MSRP. :bs: He waited six months and paid $500 over invoice. Hopefully people will start realizing this and stick it to the dealers. The sooner people stop paying over sticker and the dealers begin to have a surplus, their prices will drop and incentives will be found. Lets hope it is sooner then later. :D

Skywalker44 said:
I hope everyone is reading these posts and realizing that the markup will not last forever. The same thing occurd in 2000 when my father went to buy is Honda S2000. When they first came out dealerships were asking and getting 5k over MSRP. :bs: He waited six months and paid $500 over invoice. Hopefully people will start realizing this and stick it to the dealers. The sooner people stop paying over sticker and the dealers begin to have a surplus, their prices will drop and incentives will be found. Lets hope it is sooner then later. :D

While I agree with you. This is exactly what is wrong with the market for american cars. Nobody wants to pay MSRP we all want incentives to buy it. Whereas the imports do not need to use as many incentives.

If people aren't paying the markup, they wouldn't have raised it from 4k to 5k in 2 weeks.

He knew I wasn't going to buy it, I made it very clear. He wasn't trying to sell the car to me.
BRILLIANT DEDUCTION. Wow, that's the scientific method at its purest :rolleyes: ...... Hey Jon Jon, you oughta go back to that dealer and inquire about the land they've got for sale in south Florida, or that bridge in Arizona....
there are over 185,000 GT coupes and 225,000 V6 coupes that have been produced but not serialized.
Yeah, and they're being stored at a secret underground lair in Cuba...... Have you ever asked yourself, "where would they store half a million cars?" You would be able to see the holding lot from outer space.... Man, I guess Elvis IS still alive...

Bottom line, some greasy dealers will hold onto those market-adjustment stickers until they're blue in the face, in the attempt that they may find EVERY LAST SUCKER in the county. Salesmen don't care if you're buying. They live the lie every day, they don't know how to stop lying, whether you're a real customer or just a chit-chat in-between smokes..