12V switched power source in 1968 mustang

Falcon79

Apr 6, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hi guys,

I'm almost through installing a duraspark system in my 68 coupe and all that i have left is to splice into a switched 12 volt power source. I want to use the wire coming out from the ignition switch but I have no idea which wire I should use. I'm so close to getting this beast to fire up can anybody help?

• Sponsors (?)

I tell you what I did for a switched power source. Instead of tapping directly off the back off the ignition switch I ran a wire to a relay from the back of the ignition switch and on the otherside of the switch I ran a wire to ground. On the other side of the relay I ran a wire to a constant 12V source (starter solenoid in my case) and then on the other side of that switch ran a wire to the accessory that need the switched 12V source. Although in my case I ran it to an aftermarket fuse box so I could have multiple switched power circuits I could tap off.

So then when the key is in the "ON" position, you complete the circuit between the wire from the ignition switch to ground which closes the switch connection your 12V source to your accessory. Since you're not drawing power directly off the ignition switch you'll avoid premature wear of the ignition switch. These cars weren't designed to have so many sources pulled off the ignition switch after all.

The "I" post on the starter solenoid connects to the pink resistor wire and it also goes to the coil. The resistor wires reduces the voltage and is not really 12 volts. MSD ignition boxes have problems if you connect to the I post because of the voltage drop needed by the original coil.
Im unsure if Duraspark has the same issue or not...