144cid To 3.8l Engine Swap

DaveRondini

Jun 9, 2016
Hey everybody-

I'm new to this site, so please bear with me. I hope I don't upset anybody with the fact that this post is not about a Mustang, well... mostly not. I have a 1961 Comet with a 144 straight six. I was looking to swap it for a fourth or fifth generation 3.8L V6. However, I've heard that the computers don't work right without the dash cluster. Is this true?

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everybody-

I'm new to this site, so please bear with me. I hope I don't upset anybody with the fact that this post is not about a Mustang, well... mostly not. I have a 1961 Comet with a 144 straight six. I was looking to swap it for a fourth or fifth generation 3.8L V6. However, I've heard that the computers don't work right without the dash cluster. Is this true?

Dave

Moved to: Other Auto Tech

5th gen is 2005+ not 79-93. You might want to ask those guys about the engine. It is true that the there are circuits within the EEC that make it reliant o the gauge cluster.

You also might want to hit up the Classic forums to talk about feasible engine swaps. @horse sence can probably get you started in the right direction.