1965 Number matching drivetrain.

Tyler Townsley

Nov 30, 2010
In the corvette world the drive train stampings identification preclude using a corvette drivetrain in a chevy for 'matching' purposes. Is this true in the ford world? I have a 65 Fairlane sport coupe with a stock 289 2bbl auto that is untoched modification wise. I plan to pull that drive train and go with a 2001 lightning motor and built trans. This will leave me with a virgin 65 drive train. Can this be of use to someone doing a restoration of a 65 Mustang or are there numbers that limits its 'correct' use to a fairlane.

Thanks

Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

Most Fords before 1968 did not have a partial VIN on the engine or other components. One exception would be 289HP-equipped cars.

"Matching" earlier cars requires an examination of casting dates on major parts.

As for "correctness" for other cars, Ford used the same engine packages in other cars as well. By using the proper air cleaner and shift lever, there would be no way to tell they started out in a Fairlane.

Most Fords before 1968 did not have a partial VIN on the engine or other components. One exception would be 289HP-equipped cars.

"Matching" earlier cars requires an examination of casting dates on major parts.

As for "correctness" for other cars, Ford used the same engine packages in other cars as well. By using the proper air cleaner and shift lever, there would be no way to tell they started out in a Fairlane.

This really a good idea. Nice! :hail2: :nice: :nice: :hail2: