1966 289 HiPo Exhaust

GenJack

Jun 19, 2007
So Cal
Hi, I've got a freshly rebuilt 289 HiPo and want to get rid of the garbage exhaust that's on it. Has dual 1 7/8" or something pitifully small like that. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a good kit that will hook up to the stock cast iron manifolds? I have seen some nice kits from Flowmaster or Magnaflow, especially Magnaflow, and I was wondering if their 2.5" kit will hook up to the cast iron manifolds or what modifications would need to be done. I have read around some and no I am not dumping the stock cast iron HiPo manifolds for Tri-Ys or something, all the manifolds and the heads on my car are port matched and polished and breathe plenty well. This HiPo has had a lot done to it and as such puts out more than a stock Shelby HiPo, so I was thinking it should have a 2.5" system. Any help regarding a good 2.5" system would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

or you could contact me since I work for one of the maufacturers- MagnaFlow-

which pretty much means I will suggest the MagnaFlow kit as well...

I called Magnaflow Tech today and they said they had 3 applications. Long tube header, shorty, and manifold. I asked the guy if the manifold application would fit the stock HiPo manifolds and he had no idea and told me to post the question to this message board. Great tech support, eh? Anyways I hope you or someone else will know, as I have been leaning towards the magnaflow for some time but want to know if it will hook right up to what I've got.

You will probably have to step up the pipes to work with the manifolds. I'm looking at the same thing, except I'm running the hipo manifolds on a 351w.
The thing I noticed is the outlet on the manifolds is 2" I have a 2.25 H-pipe for a 289, but that steps up from 2" right past where they attach to the manifolds.
I have the magnaflow kit (2.5") but it is made for long tubes (I didn't know there was another one, is there?) Anyways, I'm cutting up the H-pipe to fit and use as a temporary till I can get a set of stainless pipes fabbed. So, what I'm getting at is with the manifolds 2.5" pipe is overkill, but can be done.

Don't know if this helps at all, just thought I'd throw my $.02 in.

I used the HiPo H-pipe and generic "dealer installed" system from Mustangs Unlimited. Bolted it together with muffler clamps - no welding or cutting required. Pretty sure it is 2 1/4"

I did have to do a LOT of trial fitting to get the tailpipes over the rear end and lined up correctly.

Yeah I was hoping that there would be a kit out there that would fit directly and it doesn't appear so with the exception of the kit from Mustangs Unlimited. I had seen that kit before but wanted a mandrel bent system, preferably at 2.5" as the little 289 I've got is quite the souped up engine. So far, looks like I'll either have to get pipes fabbed at a shop to go from the manifolds to the system, or else settle for a smaller non-mandrel bent HiPo system from Mustangs Unlimited. I don't suppose any of the local muffler shops have mandrel bending equipment, either. Any other opinions or experiences from other members would be appreciated.