1966 6-cyl Brake Booster Question

whammo77

May 27, 2012
Ok, still working on the Mustang. I have a question about adding a power brake booster/master cylinder for it because I hate the brakes on the car. The local 'Vintage Mustang' place here has brake booster/master cylinder combo by Scott Drake for the 1966 Mustang, and it states that it will work with the drum brakes or the disc brakes. Currently, my car still has the drum brakes on all 4 corners. I plan to upgrade to the front disk in the near (hopefully) future, but in the meantime I think this upgrade would really help alot and since it works with either, that would be perfect for when I switch to the disk brakes. However, it states that the booster needs a minimum of 15 lbs of vacuum at idle for it to work. The vacuum on the 6 cyl is pretty simplistic, so am wondering if it has enough vacuum for this??? Has anyone done this modification? If so, were there any additional modifications that had to be done to make it work??

At a minimum I want to put a dual bowl master cylinder on it with a newer proportioning valve, but man, if it is possible I sure would like to have the booster!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

The universal 7" diameter boosters simply do not work well on early Mustangs.

Any decent brake booster will need on the order of 18"-20" of vacuum to work at full potential.

The best booster you can put on an early Mustang comes from the '87-'93 Fox Mustangs --either the 2.3L single diaphragm booster or the more powerful 5.0L dual-diaphragm unit.

This is not a direct bolt-on but the modifications are simple to do and either the 2.3L or 5.0L Fox boosters will run circles around anything from the aftermarket.

A brake booster won't make a vehicle stop better. It's a force multiplier that just makes it more easy/comfortable to apply the brakes with less leg force than what is required with manual brakes.

If the brakes aren't up to par to begin with, the addition of a booster isn't going to be a miracle cure to correct that problem.

Since a booster is a force multiplier, it doesn't know if the vehicle has all wheel drums, disc/drums or, if it has all wheel discs. It merely amplifies the output force you apply to the brake pedal so, it will work with whatever brake type you have, or will have.

Here's a source for the Fox brake booster conversion.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html