1966 Resto Project - Stage One - I6 Engine

Martyred

Jul 5, 2006
1966 Resto Project - Stage One - I6 Engine *Pics lots of them*

Ok so its Sat, and like any red blooded American, I am in my garage working on my Mustang. So im taking a break cause its like 107 outside right now and i figured i would share with you guys my status thus far:

Original Problem: Exhaust Leak from old Manifold Gasket.
Solution: Remove Manifold and replace gasket
Additional Problem: Three Manifold bolts broke off during removal

Solution to Additional Problem: PBBlast bolts, let sit, try to remove with Vice.
Additional Additional Problem: Vice grip is just stripping Threads because cant get a good angle/tight enough on bolts:
Solution to the Additional Additional Problem: Remove Head and get a better angle/grip.

Its so true that one problem leads to another. Now im a strong do-it-yourselfer and i have awsome friends, so i jumped into the project today bascially taking apart my engine. ;)

Windows would not compress this image, these are the parts i bought today for the job, I still need a Head Gasket and new spark plugs:
http://www.almostperfection.com/images/Mustang/Stage1/Mustang Stage 1 020.jpg

So Here is what i started with:
step1.jpg

Took off Valve Cover:
headon.jpg

Starter, Manifold, Valve Cover:
valve%20cap.jpg

Removed Carb:
carb.jpg

Took off Ignition Cables:
discap.jpg

Removed Head:
head1.jpg

See Stuck Bolts in Head:
headscrewed.jpg

Removed Head Gasket:
headgasket.jpg

Bare Block:
block.jpg

Once we got the Head off we noticed a problem in the combustion chamber, note the uneven coloration:

head2.jpg

Is this a problem?
headdry.jpg

Since we have the engine apart we are going to go ahead and replace spark plugs, head gasket, valve cover gasket, and manifold gasket (which is all i planned to do in the first place, but hey if you can take sh|@ apart right? ;) ). I am worried about the oil discoloration in the combustion chamber though, need advice on that. The only thing i can think of is that the oil is leaking out the back of the engine block and not gettin to the front combustion chambers, but i would like some professional advice if you guys know.

Enjoy the pics guys, i'm headed back out to see if we can get the broken bolts out of the head.

Jared C. / Martyred

• Sponsors (?)

Did you happen to run a compression test?

If you ran a dry and wet compression test, that would tell you where your issue lies. could be valve guides or rings. But you are getting oil in the cylinders.
Looks like that car has been well taken care of, with the lack of sludge and nice green antifreeze.

If you didn't run a compression test, you can always pull the pan and check the rings & pistons.
You are at a really cool point, because, right now, you've got a lot of excellent options for that 6 cylinder.

BTW: they make left twist drill bits that help in removing broken bolts, if it's broken flush or down inside the threads.

Good luck,

Scott

66Runt said:
If you ran a dry and wet compression test, that would tell you where your issue lies. could be valve guides or rings. But you are getting oil in the cylinders.
Looks like that car has been well taken care of, with the lack of sludge and nice green antifreeze.

If you didn't run a compression test, you can always pull the pan and check the rings & pistons.
You are at a really cool point, because, right now, you've got a lot of excellent options for that 6 cylinder.

BTW: they make left twist drill bits that help in removing broken bolts, if it's broken flush or down inside the threads.

Good luck,

Scott

We just got back from the store with the twist drill bit.. about to go get it out!

This is the original engine from 1966, I <3 it and have rebuilt it about 3 times.

D@$#@~!!!!!

The freaking twist drill bit broke off into the F$@$%^ bolt and now im really "screwed". I guess my only option is to take it to a machine shop at this point. I am not happy with the quality of the tools that i have right now. Three Kobalt parts broke on me today. I'm not happy with thier tools at all right now.. I have to wait for the gasket to get in anyhow so i guess i can go drop it off at a machine shop and clean the parts i have right now. All of the threads are nice and crisp except for the one F$#@%^*$ bolt that is now renforced with the twist off drill bit.

So even though this one bolt is causing me alot of pain i am really excited about the condition of the engine and how well things have gone so far. I've saved about 1,000 just on the labor myself. I would rank this project of checking your gaskets and taking apart the engine at a serious Hard, gettin those bolts off of the head takes a lot of pain. I think i will call it a weekend satisfied that i saved me a ton of money, and learned a lot.

now that the reverse twist bit is stuck in there you can try to drill that out in the hopes that it'd continue that reverse twisting and get that bolt out :D Then again, you might just get a normal bit stuck in the twisted bit and then you'd have three things stuck in the one bolt hole :lol:

broken bolts are a PITA, I spent my last weekend :bang: drilling a pair of bolts from the plate of the hinge in the door. eventually i learned to wd40 everything one night before from working on the pieces

This is the best post I have read in a long time, your a good story teller, makes me want to find a straight 65-66 and start another one.....

Reminds of when I pulled out my 8" rear end (out of a 289 car that ran and drove fine) to replace the worn out leaf springs, next thing you know the car was on jack stands for the next 18 months minus the engine, trans, suspension and every other part that I ended up replacing (the 8" and the 289 never found their way back in)

I have to just laugh at myself in order to not get so angry. Little update:

I called lowes customer satisfaction and complained about the three tools breaking on me and the pain and money it is going to cost me to have a machine shop try to drill it out. They called me back from the local store in like 30 mins stating that if i wanted a full cash refund and a gift card for lowes for the amount that i had to pay the machine shop to fix thier broken tool i could come in and get it. I think that says alot about the customer service at Lowes, and i think they saved a customer. I was using Kobalt tools by the way.

I called the machine shop and it seems that with the broken twist bolt extractor stuck inside they will most likely charge a min of 50 dollars an hour... My friend can do it for me for free i just will have to wait 2 weeks because he is really backed up. I'm going to give it a try myself this week and if i cant get it out ill take it to him.

Time to order the Gaskets, clean that engine, and get new spark plugs. Whats a good sealing compound to seal the edge of the valve and head so i can try to put a stop to my oil leaking issue?

As a machinist, I highly recommend you take it to the machine shop. If they they can do it for $50 you will be getting a real deal. When hard tools break off in a part you generally need to use an EDM machine to get them out, but sometimes you can get lucky with your bag of tricks.

Well what my logic is.. since the "soft" bolt is still around the "hard" twist bit, i'm going to try to take a small drill bit and bascically drill out the outter ring of the bolt. In theory if the outter ring is removed, the inner bit will just fall out, or i can just "punch" it out.

I'm sure i will just make another post later with:
"Hey guess what i have three bits stuck in the head now!"

Haha its worth a try.