1967/1968 Pop Open Gas Cap

kooldawg6

mine works really well and can take a fair amount
Aug 31, 2006
Central VA
I've searched the tech form with no luck. I'm trying to find out the outside diameter of this assembly. I'm interested to see if it is the same size as the faux cap on the rear of the '05+ Stangs and will fit insde the hole in the honeycomb tail panel I have.
Here is the pictures of what I have now and the cap I'm looking at.
2239179475_5cd25c6eac_b.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&item=220198689059&_trksid=p3907.m32

Thanks for any/all help:nice:

Attachments

• 2239179475_5cd25c6eac_b.jpg
    2239179475_5cd25c6eac_b.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 152
  • Sponsors (?)

Although I cannot readily tell you the diameter of the pop-open gas cap, I can tell you that due to the contour of the rear taillight panel, the gas cap will need to be modified to fit on a flat surface.
Also, for what it is worth, I would be willing to bet that the 05+ badge will be larger than the 67-68 cap and you may want to look into the 69 option.

-Donnie

The cap to look at would be the 1970 pop open cap, since it is made for a flat surface. Just add the GT emblem. I don't have a pop open cap to measure, but the standard gas caps are about 4 1/2 inches across, so it is much smaller then the 6 inch emblem used on the new Mustangs. I held one up to my daughter's 07 California Special, and it basically would fit, and still have the trunk lock accessible.

The cap to look at would be the 1970 pop open cap, since it is made for a flat surface. Just add the GT emblem. I don't have a pop open cap to measure, but the standard gas caps are about 4 1/2 inches across, so it is much smaller then the 6 inch emblem used on the new Mustangs. I held one up to my daughter's 07 California Special, and it basically would fit, and still have the trunk lock accessible.

Thanks:nice: I will only swap them if they are fairly darn close. I'm not worred about the curve as I can make it flat one way or another.

Thanks. If I get one, it won't be a problem:nice:

I think what CanyonCarver515 and Mr-Fixit are trying to convey is, the '67-'68 pop open gas cap will not seat on the flat panel of your car, but the '70 pop open gas cap will seat flush with your tail light panel. They are the same gas pop open type gas caps, but the 70 will fit a flat panel. When you order your gas cap, make sure to order a '70 style.

Tim

Thanks for all your help guys:nice: I see Silver Horse Racing makes a faux rear pop open style cap that allows me to retain the use of the trunk lock and I ordered a '68 "GT" wheel emblem that looks very similar to the one used on the gas cap!