• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

1967 convertible frame replacement

  • Thread starter Thread starter tomustang
  • Start date Start date Aug 11, 2005

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 11, 2005
#1
  • Aug 11, 2005
  • #1
View attachment 507225

So this is my project car, handed down by my father with rust on the floorboards and frame rails.

I have all the replacement parts but mostly everyone I talk to claims I have to strip everything out and put it on a rotisory (sp?) So I was thinking if it's possible to weld up some steel bars for chassis support and work one side at a time.


BTW - It's been 10 years since it's been started. Took it out, recharged the battery and threw some starting fluid in it and it started right up. Gotta love a Ford

 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Aug 11, 2005
#2
  • Aug 11, 2005
  • #2
Since it is a vert I'd be super-d-dooper carefull. You probably need to have a chassis shop get her trued up for you. I did the floors on my vert but was lucky the subs and torque boxes were solid (floors rusted from the inside). I also made sure the doors were straight and remained closed/locked during the entire process.
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 11, 2005
#3
  • Aug 11, 2005
  • #3
The subs and torque boxes are great, it's just the floor boards and some rust spots on the rails. I was alos thinking on welding the doors shut or welding tubes supports aswell.
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 11, 2005
#4
  • Aug 11, 2005
  • #4
bump
 

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
742
2
16
New Jersey
Aug 11, 2005
#5
  • Aug 11, 2005
  • #5
Damn, that thing is beautiful. I love seeing convertibles before they are restored. I am looking for something just like yours. Let me know if you are ever looking at getting rid of it.

As for the rotissery, I really don't think it is mandatory. Just convenient. Most of the guys here haven't restored their cars with a using one.
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 11, 2005
#6
  • Aug 11, 2005
  • #6
doubt i'll get rid of it, been in the family for over 25 years. I just don't wanna screw up on the job if it's not possible but since it could be w/out a rotissery than I got more hope

I also gotta get a carb rebuid kit cause it's leaking but they're cheap
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 15, 2005
#7
  • Aug 15, 2005
  • #7
ttt

come one somebody had to do it..
 

70vert

New Member
Dec 31, 2004
722
0
0
Bay Area, CA
Aug 15, 2005
#8
  • Aug 15, 2005
  • #8
no rotisserie

unless you're planning on cookin' chicken while you're working.

I just had my floor pan replaced - tranny tunnel was fine, but the inner rocker panels on each side had to be replace, and front and rear floorboards; driver's side was all the way up to the firewall. A little patch at the back seat corner on the driver's side as well.

http://homepage.mac.com/jbauder/PhotoAlbum73.html

I'll have more "after" photos soon, but there you go. I had just a little surface rust on front and rear frame rails. All in all, not a disaster but not a cakewalk either. This is a PA car, by the way - I grew up with it. a '67 was my 2nd choice but I hadda have something different. (and harder to find parts for)

enjoy. Flush out/replace your gas tank ASAP and maybe even fuel lines, who knows what's in there after 10 years.
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 16, 2005
#9
  • Aug 16, 2005
  • #9
looks like you you got your hands full, if i can find my missing folder of the rust pics i'd post'em up
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
195
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Frame rail strut tower repair
  • Creomod
  • Dec 5, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
5K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 5, 2025
Creomod
Drivetrain 83’ Glx convertible C5 Trans help!
  • JacksonJared2113
  • Dec 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
462
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 26, 2025
JacksonJared2113
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
329
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
T
Convertible A-pillar weatherstrip issues
  • thiefofcheese
  • Oct 24, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
403
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 20, 2025
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?