1967 GT FastBack Question

Chris L.

May 4, 2004
I believe my vehicle is an original factory GT Fastback based on a report that I received from "Marti AutoWorks" and it was also represented as a true GT by the seller. A local individual that is very knowlegeable about mustangs claims that it is a fake because it does not have a tachometer in the dash.

I cannot find any verification of this anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, maybe the dash was replaced...who knows!!!

Thanks,

Chris L.

• Sponsors (?)

I had three 67 non-GTs that had the tach (and one of them was an automatic), and my real 67 GT also had the tach. I don't think that either proves or disproves anything...just adding a few facts.

My GTA does not have a factory tach. I also do not have fog lights or a lower console. In my opinion the option packages were so varied in the 60s, that there is no way to tell based on a "cookie cutter" approach to these cars. Unlike today....all V8s are GTs or SVTs. I would believe your Marti report a lot more than the guy down the street.

Just my $2/100ths

If there is one thing you can pretty much count on, it's the Marti report. If (and that is a mighty big if) there was actually something on the report that was somehow proven wrong or false, than it has been wrong since the car rolled off the line brand new.

While your friend may in fact be knowledgable, alot of information passed down from mouth or even printed in books has been wrong in the past, but becomes almost folklore and taken as gospel. I'm sure he is not alone in his tach theory, but he is wrong.

Pakrat said:
While your friend may in fact be knowledgable, alot of information passed down from mouth or even printed in books has been wrong in the past, but becomes almost folklore and taken as gospel. I'm sure he is not alone in his tach theory, but he is wrong.

I can produce books and magazine articles that show that the C-code 67's could not get the GT/GTA package, only the A K or S codes could. That has proven to be wrong over the last 20 years or so when my early Mustang books and magazine collection started. Much of the GT equipment was dealer-installed back in those days too, add to that the last 35-40 years of owners and you've got something VERY hard to prove one way or the other.

mine is an original GT, no tach. A car ordered from the factory with a 4 speed would have a tach, even if it didnt have the GT package. A 3 speed , or auto, would not have had a tach, unless it was special ordered. The tach was not part of the GT option group. The GT option group was available as long as the car was ordered with a V8.

Here is a good link

http://www.etconnect.com/gt/mmgtff.htm

I've been going through the same thing with my 67 GTA Coupe. I sent off for a Marti report, which should be arriving within the next day or so. Mine has the 289, fog lights and front disc brakes. The GT gas cap is on the car and original GTA emblems were in a parts box in the trunk (the body had been redone when I bought the car). So who know's. The way I look at it is I got a good deal on it, and if its a GTA I got a better deal.

L8knight said:
I've been going through the same thing with my 67 GTA Coupe. I sent off for a Marti report, which should be arriving within the next day or so. Mine has the 289, fog lights and front disc brakes. The GT gas cap is on the car and original GTA emblems were in a parts box in the trunk (the body had been redone when I bought the car). So who know's. The way I look at it is I got a good deal on it, and if its a GTA I got a better deal.
FYI...check the routing of the fog light wiring and the inside of the fenders where the running horse might have been removed. Those two items are the hardest to do "right" when faking a GT/GTA.

I believe I got the standard, but requested the door plate as well because the idiot that did the bodywork for the previous owner removed it and didn't return it. :mad:
If only I could find information for the original striping and emblems I could get them put back on the car. I can't find a template anywhere. Anyone have a measurement for me? How far up from the base of the fender are the stripes? The same idiot that removed the door plate also filled the holes on the fender. :nonono:

The holes for the emblems should be easy to find, look at it from the back (either remove the fender or the splash shield. As far as the stripes are concerned, try contacting NPD. I am pretty sure their stripe kits come with a template for accurate placement. But if you can get those GTA emblems on right that may be all you need to get the stripes on right.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing (with the fenders)...but I figured if someone had a template source or measurement it would be easier to go that route. I planned to do the emblems first, then stripe out from there...especially because I've seen stripe kits that already have the space cut-out for the emblem but mine arrived with no cut-out.