1971 Mach 1

68keyblr

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Arizona
Need to hear from you 1971 Mach 1 guys. I may be able to purchase one at a *discounted* price but I have my doubts as to whether or not it is a genuine Mach 1. So here's my questions:

- Did all '71 Machs come with a 351C? If not, what other engines were available?

- What markings should I look for to confirm it's a true Mach 1?

- Any other suggestions on things to look for?

• Sponsors (?)

The VIN will have an 05 as the 3rd and 4th digits. All Mach 1's come with the deluxe interior and the 3 gauges in the center stack. I think the base engine for the '71 was the 2V Cleveland which is the letter "H" on the VIN. The more desirable engine is either the 4V Cleveland which is an "M" or the 429's and I can't remember their VIN codes. Mach 1's with the 4V Cleveland or better also got the competition suspension which included staggered rear shocks and a rear sway bar, both are easy to see under the rear of the car, especially the staggered rear shocks. Of course engines and interiors can change over the years but not the VIN. So if the VIN doesn't have the "05" it isn't a Mach 1. No exceptions.

pushrod power said:
The VIN will have an 05 as the 3rd and 4th digits. All Mach 1's come with the deluxe interior and the 3 gauges in the center stack. I think the base engine for the '71 was the 2V Cleveland which is the letter "H" on the VIN. The more desirable engine is either the 4V Cleveland which is an "M" or the 429's and I can't remember their VIN codes. Mach 1's with the 4V Cleveland or better also got the competition suspension which included staggered rear shocks and a rear sway bar, both are easy to see under the rear of the car, especially the staggered rear shocks. Of course engines and interiors can change over the years but not the VIN. So if the VIN doesn't have the "05" it isn't a Mach 1. No exceptions.

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for. What would you pay for a genuine Mach 1 in fair condition? This car has little or no rust, primered exterior, in running condition.

68keyblr said:
I'm hoping to see it in the next few days. I'll have all of the info then.
I missed the primer part ealier. Look closely at the primered surface of the car. Is it paint ready? Does it require a lot of work? If the primered surface is rough the car is worth a lot less. The most expensive part of a paint job is the surface prep.

the mach1 also came with a 302 if im not mistaken??? the top notch ones even if there a 351c 2v have deluxe door panels, rear spolier, fold down rear seat, center consol, and triple gauge package. not all of course came with such options... if the car has ram air then ur lucky ... i paid 3k for mine in good shape didnt run but im doing a frame up restore on it so didnt matter to me. i rebuilt the engine. but if it runs in good shape not to much body or interier work i would say no more than 5k cause it has no paint...would have to see pics to give a good aprassial

x73mach1x said:
the mach1 also came with a 302 if im not mistaken??? the top notch ones even if there a 351c 2v have deluxe door panels, rear spolier, fold down rear seat, center consol, and triple gauge package. not all of course came with such options... if the car has ram air then ur lucky ... i paid 3k for mine in good shape didnt run but im doing a frame up restore on it so didnt matter to me. i rebuilt the engine. but if it runs in good shape not to much body or interier work i would say no more than 5k cause it has no paint...would have to see pics to give a good aprassial

All Mach 1's came with the Deluxe Interior which included the door panels, and the Center gauges, that was part of the Mach 1 package. Rear spoilers, fold down rear seats, center consoles, etc... were all regular production options available on all Mustangs.

Not all Machs came with the deluxe interior-our 73 has the standard interior and is a Mach.

I have also noticed a rise in price on the big bodies-as well as a rise in aftermarket availablity. Now's the time to get one before they are at the same prices as the earlier models.

electricgreen said:
Not all Machs came with the deluxe interior-our 73 has the standard interior and is a Mach.

I have also noticed a rise in price on the big bodies-as well as a rise in aftermarket availablity. Now's the time to get one before they are at the same prices as the earlier models.

Upon further research I stand corrected.
I remember reading somewhere that ALL Mach's came with the deluxe interior and casual observation of Mach's seemed to confirm that. Obviously I was wrong.

The interior was part of the Mach1 option, I dont have the book here, but the Mach option was 351, Deluxe int., Power steering cooler (if App.), Staggered rear shocks. All that good stuff. At least on 72's ram air was only availible on the 351 2v as an option, and standard on the R-code 351 H.O.