1980 302?

Mcg

May 2, 2020
Iowa
Looking for some information about this motor I have. I have an 83 mustang and know its not the original motor. After pulling it out for a rebuild the casting number tells me its a 1980. After some research, sounds like they didn't make a 302 in 80. Instead been told its 255. My curiosity is if this is true then why is the bore 4 in and 3 in stroke? Also it has one piece fuel pump eccertic, ford factory 4 barrel intake, Rectangular ports in the head? Just confused with all the different information out there.

• Sponsors (?)

If it’s a 4in bore and 3in stroke then what is there to question?

The 302 was produced in 1980, it could’ve been in a truck or something and then swapped in.

Reactions: 1 user
If it’s a 4in bore and 3in stroke then what is there to question?

The 302 was produced in 1980, it could’ve been in a truck or something and then swapped in.
I know the motor came out of a mustang gt with 5 speed. Just not understanding if 4 barrel and 302 wasn't an option in 80. Like you said the bore and stroke is right doesn't really matter. Thanks for your response

Gotcha. I’m guessing the old 255 needed rebuilding/replacing and the 302 is more widely available. Good though, 302 is a much better engine

In my 79, I had an E7 long block and headers, an Edelbrock intake, a 4 Bbl EGR spacer, a 600 CFM Holley 4bbl, the 83 up dual snorkel intake and cold air tubes, a 4 eyes GT hood scoop, an 87 Gt rear spoiler and 10 hole aluminum ford wheels. Oh, and an aftermarket sunroof that I got on triple close out and with an employee discount. Who knows what and why someone put what they did in yours by now. How does it run is my question? That combo out ran a Camaro another parts monkey bragged about the Vette motor pulling air under the front wheels, walked away from a 67 Chevelle beauty, and was spanked by a 2.3l Pinto the local high school auto class club ran. How embarrassing!

Reactions: 1 user
In my 79, I had an E7 long block and headers, an Edelbrock intake, a 4 Bbl EGR spacer, a 600 CFM Holley 4bbl, the 83 up dual snorkel intake and cold air tubes, a 4 eyes GT hood scoop, an 87 Gt rear spoiler and 10 hole aluminum ford wheels. Oh, and an aftermarket sunroof that I got on triple close out and with an employee discount. Who knows what and why someone put what they did in yours by now. How does it run is my question? That combo out ran a Camaro another parts monkey bragged about the Vette motor pulling air under the front wheels, walked away from a 67 Chevelle beauty, and was spanked by a 2.3l Pinto the local high school auto class club ran. How embarrassing!
They are fun little cars! I've had mine for last 15 years. The paint and motor was done before I got it. The rest ive done. Cut the rear floor out and made my own torque boxes and frame rail when installed rear end. Ran pretty good until last couple years but lost some power. Had 2 lobes on the cam going flat. Why the rebuild. So 347 here we go!

First, do not go by casting number to tell you what year the block was used. That is wrong. That codesdoes not say E0ZE. It probably says E0AE. (Z = Mustang, A = generic Ford) That code is an engineering number and all it tells you is what the block was originally engineered (designed) for. Ford shared blocks across many models/lines and for more than one year. In other words, blocks used in 1981 models are not necessarily E1AE, and blocks used in 1982 models are not necessarily E2AE, etc. The date code will tell you when the block was cast. Not when it was used or in what. The VIN stamped on the block will tell you what it was used in.

Second, the 302 engine was not available in the Capri or Mustang in 1980 but it was in other cars and trucks,including some other Foxes that were made in the 1980 model year. The 1980 Cougar/Thunderbird could be had with TWO V8s: 255 or 302.

First, do not go by casting number to tell you what year the block was used. That is wrong. That codesdoes not say E0ZE. It probably says E0AE. (Z = Mustang, A = generic Ford) That code is an engineering number and all it tells you is what the block was originally engineered (designed) for. Ford shared blocks across many models/lines and for more than one year. In other words, blocks used in 1981 models are not necessarily E1AE, and blocks used in 1982 models are not necessarily E2AE, etc. The date code will tell you when the block was cast. Not when it was used or in what. The VIN stamped on the block will tell you what it was used in.

Second, the 302 engine was not available in the Capri or Mustang in 1980 but it was in other cars and trucks,including some other Foxes that were made in the 1980 model year. The 1980 Cougar/Thunderbird could be had with TWO V8s: 255 or 302.
Thanks for the info. I do know the motor came out of a mustang gt. The car was a friend of mine that had a car lot. The car I have originally had 6 cylinder in it. At the time (15 yrs ago) someone was test driving a nice black on black gt and put it in the ditch. Totaled it. He's the one that decided to use the motor in this car. Was just confused on what I had. Do know cars can be custom ordered too. My best guess the original owner wanted 302 instead of 255. Or was replaced earlier on. I'll look for the Vin number and run it later. The most important part to me is it is a 302. Not like my car has many matching numbers.