1992 GT Vert 39k miles - $9,500?

04YELLOWGT

Jun 29, 2005
Indiana
Hey I found a 1992 Dark Blue GT Convertible with 39,000 original miles on it with full documentation. I'm going to look at/ possibly buy it tomorrow and was wondering does that seem like the right price for that type of car? I've seen a few low mileage below 30k miles where people were asking $13k-$18k which I thought was nuts since you can buy a 93 Cobra for $13k+.

I was going to offer $8k and see if they bite. Would that be a pretty good deal?

• Sponsors (?)

I paid just about the same for mine back in 2000 when it had 55K on it. I'd say yours ought to be worth more w/that mileage now than mine was then. That is, provided everything is mint and is definitely stock. Mine was, so I felt it was worth it. Many others probably wouldn't, but hey...

And no, I didn't plan at all on modifying the entire thing anyway :rolleyes:

Kelly Blue book lists it's value at around $5,100 in excelent condition. Kelley Blue Book - Private Party Pricing Report - Ford, Mustang - Official Kelley Blue Book Site But if its the car you want, the low mi. cars are becoming more scarse and will probably go up in value over the next few years. Just something to keep in mind, and maybe show the current owners what KBB said before you offer the $8k.

I think if I had that car and you showed that to me, I'd recommend you buy one from Kelly Blue Book.

No kidding, I'd laugh right there.

But in the buyer's case, he can hopefully leverage that to his advantage. Who cares about the buyer, he's not a Stangnetter ;)

Kelly Blue book lists it's value at around $5,100 in excelent condition. Kelley Blue Book - Private Party Pricing Report - Ford, Mustang - Official Kelley Blue Book Site But if its the car you want, the low mi. cars are becoming more scarse and will probably go up in value over the next few years. Just something to keep in mind, and maybe show the current owners what KBB said before you offer the $8k.

On cars like these, KBB is nothing but a way for your insurance company to screw you out of the value of your car.

In my area, average condition Foxes with 100k on them are selling for $7-7500. If the condition is as good as it should be with under 40,000 on it, that's an excellent buy. I paid $9995 for mine in 1999 with 32,000 on it. The value is already going up for nice, low-mile Fox cars so you're not going to be find a lot of them around anymore.

if its at a dealer I would verify the millage, i just baught an all stock 92 gt vert with 125k, and if someone would have told me it had 25k on it I would have believed them, some people take really good care of there stuff

Well I went and looked at it and it is authentic. The car is actually dark green but its and AUTO.:( The paint is in decent shape no rust but is swirled pretty bad and and has a few scratches here and there on it. I told them if it was a 5spd I would have bought it right then and there. They said they would take $8k but I don't know if I want to spend $8k on an automatic.

Something seems fishy too.

- I offered them 7.5k they said no that they needed atleast 9.5k.

- I offered them 8k they said no and said because they have a whole sellr offering them 8.5k.

- I went to leave and then they countered with $8,250 and I said no.

- I went to leave again and then they said they would take 8k. :shrug:

It seems like something is wrong with the car or they need money bad. Thats what kind of scared me on top of it not having a 5spd.

Id stay away from it...dealerships suck

Too much of a blanket statement there.

This car was probably a trade in at a local new car dealer, and there is no way 99% of new car dealers will keep a 92 anything unless it truly is extra special. The owner of this car lot likely visits all the new car dealers to explore used inventory and recent trades that are being wholesaled and buys them to offer on his small lot. Most used car lots seem to deal in the older less expensive stuff but some are high roller lots like one near me that deals in audi, lexus, etc. Some new car dealers will even wholesale a perfectly good car that just needs brakes and tires because that will cut into their profit more than they would like, so off it goes. I do all the used cars at the toyota dealer where I work and I see everything from old high mileage junk to some really nice stuff head over to the wholesale line, all for various reasons.

Just because it is at a used car lot doesnt automatically mean a car is junk.

Trust your instincts. They're only willing to take that big a hit on the car because they probably have been trying to get rid of it for awhile, and nobody's snapped it up already because there's something wrong with it (other than it being an AOD Fox). Walk away and don't look back. There's PLENTY of others out there ... with T-5's. :nice:

Yeah, everything you said is normal car salesman speak. The type or condition of the car is not relevant. They would do the same for any car, new or used. Go back tomorrow and say for you would buy it now for $7,000 and walk away. They will do the same thing.

-kyle

For $9500....you could buy my '03 GT :)

I know it's a low-mileage fox and all, but $9500 is a little steep for it especially if it's not in immaculate shape.

Dealers suck anyway. When it comes to non-mustangs, they all love to post KBB/NADA in the window, but when you try to trade a car in, they tell you you can't go by KBB/NADA because of the market.