1995 cobra transmission problems! please help!

stupidcar

Mar 4, 2007
jersey
hey, im new to these forums

i just recently aquired a decently low mileage 95 cobra (76,000) and it drove fine and perfect for a while, just having problems starting up in the morning (due to the ECU in these cars from what I read) Only mods are under drive pulleys and 65mm BBK throttle body, hurst short throw and nitrous waiting to be put on. Well while at the track the starter decided to go on me. So we managed to get it push started and drove it home. I pulled the starter out and checked the flywheel and well some teeth were missing. So i know that has to be replaced. Heres where my transmission problem comes in and I want to know if it has anything to do with the flywheel. I put a new starter in because I had to go somewhere. It reversed just fine out of my driveway and into the street. Then when I had to leave the other place, the reverse gear clunked and started grinding if i tried to back up. After that I put it in first and started to drive home. Then my shifter disappeared and i was stuck in third gear.

So basically my questions are 1) would the flywheel have anything to do with reverse doing what its doing and 2) would the shifter have made the reverse gear do that because it was starting to disappear (im going to check the linkage after this post actually because I know its either broke or somehow managed to unhook itself) Any help here would be greatly appreciated because id rather not have to get a loan from the bank to buy a new transmission.

• Sponsors (?)

did it grind at all???? or just not go into gear??? the flywheel is a problem, but the transmition should give a little warning before just going out i think...but i could be wrong....my wife's 95 cobra has a syncro out in 3rd and grinds when putting it in gear when getting on it only....