• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

1996 Odometer Not Working

  • Thread starter Thread starter I_love_my_stang92
  • Start date Start date Mar 28, 2017
I

I_love_my_stang92

New Member
Mar 28, 2017
5
0
1
Mar 28, 2017
#1
  • Mar 28, 2017
  • #1
Saturday night I noticed my odometer is no longer tracking mileage. I purchased a replacement gear kit and installed it, but still no odometer. Could the motor have gone? I'm not sure what I could have missed. I double checked the worm gear and ensured that the air gap between it and the motor housing is very small. I also made sure that I installed the flatter side of the worm gear facing the motor housing. Unless there could still be some issue with the gear placement I'm not sure where to look next.
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Mar 28, 2017
#2
  • Mar 28, 2017
  • #2
Let me ask you this. Does the speedometer work? IF so, then the VSS sensor is sending a signal to the PCM and the cluster. The Odometer uses the same signal as the speedometer does and the problem has to be in the cluster.

check out the following on cluster PC foil trace repair.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-tech/304608-my-odometer-goes-off.html#2657361

However in your case pay attention to the thread regarding how to calibrate the speedometer. It should give you an excellent way to test the motors in the cluster.

Courtesy of Suek here's how to calibrate for a needle swap.
http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forums/how-to-recalibrate-your-gauges-t7574.html
 
I

I_love_my_stang92

New Member
Mar 28, 2017
5
0
1
Mar 28, 2017
#3
  • Mar 28, 2017
  • #3
Thank you so much and yes the speedometer is working properly so I do not believe it to be the VSS sensor or the cable. However, it looks like your cluster test would not apply to my 96. It only works for 99 and up models according to the instructions.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,332
410
164
Joplin, Missouri
Mar 29, 2017
#4
  • Mar 29, 2017
  • #4
The gear is broken on the odometer. Late model as well as other mustang suppliers sell a replacement kit.
 
I

I_love_my_stang92

New Member
Mar 28, 2017
5
0
1
Mar 29, 2017
#5
  • Mar 29, 2017
  • #5
squeak93 said:
The gear is broken on the odometer. Late model as well as other mustang suppliers sell a replacement kit.
Click to expand...

Thank you for your reply. I already replaced the two gears with the kit and still no odometer. I'm going to try and test the motor itself as well as inspect solder joints today and see if anything jumps out at me.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,332
410
164
Joplin, Missouri
Mar 29, 2017
#6
  • Mar 29, 2017
  • #6
Sorry I skimmed your post to quick and missed that. Yes the motor could have died.
 
I

I_love_my_stang92

New Member
Mar 28, 2017
5
0
1
Mar 29, 2017
#7
  • Mar 29, 2017
  • #7
squeak93 said:
Sorry I skimmed your post to quick and missed that. Yes the motor could have died.
Click to expand...
Do you know how I could get another motor online? I've tried searching but information seems to be nonexistent.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,332
410
164
Joplin, Missouri
Mar 29, 2017
#8
  • Mar 29, 2017
  • #8
You're best bet would be to buy a full cluster and start robbing parts. v6 or v8 it shouldn't matter and there are a ton of them in bone yards.
 
I

I_love_my_stang92

New Member
Mar 28, 2017
5
0
1
Mar 30, 2017
#9
  • Mar 30, 2017
  • #9
Ok so pretty big change happened today. I touched up all solder connections on the speedometer today and cleaned a little around the gears. The car speedometer needle was a little shaky when first accelerating but seems to have settled out now. I got the tach to go up as far as 5 tenths before it stopped moving or got locked up. It should be noted that I had to constantly tap on the cluster for the tach to continue moving.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
850
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
988
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
O
My rebirth, Hi from PA
  • onemore1987
  • Jun 28, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
191
The Welcome Wagon Jun 29, 2026
onemore1987
O
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
483
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
D
66 Coupe Progress Thread
  • DTCRAWLEY
  • Apr 19, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 17, 2026
DTCRAWLEY
D
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?