Engine 1999 v6 convertable

Darktear

Dec 11, 2018
Utah
Hello! Ive just had a problem with my stang. I didn’t know where else to go, or look so hope this is the right place!

Last night heading home I bottomed out going too fast in my neighborhood, and it was loud! Anyway I didn’t notice any problems so just parked and went to bed.
Well the next morning I'm heading to an appointment, and I noticed that the heater wasn’t heating up and blowing cold air well after the amount of time it usually takes. The temp gauge even was at 12 o’clock, and still no heat coming from the heater. Figured well I messed something up. Then heading back home the car just loses power and dies at a red light. Tried starting it again and couldn’t get it to turn over. Took about 10 minutes of trying and panicking before it finally started, but very very rough. Had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running as I headed back home. As of now it starts and idles very rough and misfires like crazy, but then randomly drove fine after running for a bit. So i shut it off and try to start it again, same issues. Car intermittently overheats and temp is on the H. And after shutting off and starting it again goes back to the middle. There is white smoke coming out of the tailpipe quite excessively. No matter what the temperature gauge says, there is smoke coming from the dipstick when I pull it out. Also, my oil reads a lot higher than I am sure it was at before. I did the oil change, and I know I put in the right amount, and the dipstick read what it was supposed to. This was a few months ago that i did it though. Sorry for such a long explanation, trying to get as much details as I know. From what I’ve read, it feels like it could be a vacuum leak from damage to a vacuum line or something. But I don’t know if that’s just me having my hopes high that it’s not something bigger like a cracked head or gasket. Some insight would be much appreciated, I don’t want to get rid of this as it has sentimental value. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

If this were my car the first test I would do is a compression and cylinder leak down test. Make sure that the basic motor health is good.

No heat is a sign there's air in the cooling jacket. The V6 is bad about retaining air inside the motor's cooling jacket. This will cause the ECT to be in contact with air. Which will make the ECT read low. This creates a situation where the motor is over heating but the temperature gauge does not read hot.

V6 coolant refilling procedure
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/for...stang-irregular-rpms-showing-hot.html#2604913

Thank you so much for the reply! I will do those tests as soon as I can. If it helps. There is also a sweet smell coming from the white smoke from the tail pipe, which I assume means there’s coolant in the combustion chamber. It’s starting to look like my High Hopes were just hopes And there’s a crack in my Gasket or block. But I will do those tests just to be sure. Now if it does happen to be one of those things, I’ve read about the bluedevil radiator and block sealer. I have seen mostly good reviews. Is that just snake oil? Or do you think it could help?

I’ve read about the bluedevil radiator and block sealer. I have seen mostly good reviews. Is that just snake oil? Or do you think it could help?
For a modern car with the modern gasket materials these products do NOT work. Often causing many more problems than they solve. Once these products are used they almost impossible to remove. They are incapable to repair the HUGH gaps that often exist in a failed motor.

Reactions: 1 user