1st post / Help: Spark Plug Change

myrpmredline

Jan 2, 2005
Let me first say hi to all that read my post. You seem to have a nice site.

I enjoy cars, We have a 2001 Mustang GT & I just sold a 97 Supra singled (.67) that I blew a hole in the side of the block. All the work done to the Supra was professionally done at a shop. I had The Supra for 3 years, engine just went.

So as far as cars go were down to one thats looks good = The Mustang. I always sent my Supra out to get it's work done. I would like to know how to do this proceedure myself.............I thought it would be a piece of cake..........................looks pretty envolved. Any help would be appreciated.

Let me get right to my question. And I'm sure it's been asked many times. I would like someone to post me a link on how to change the spark plugs in a 2001 GT. I found a really descriptive article on a Mustang Bullit editon but I do not know if it has the same engine as my car.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow ! I had no idea 4.6 plugs were a PITA !

I know that they are on a 4th Gen F , so I have always paid to have mine done. :nonono:

I did a search - the best one I stumbled across so far was here. It has a pic and a link to the Bullitt site you mentioned.

I thought the engines were the same as a GT - just differences in the intake & exhaust set up - ?

My search results page is here .

Kind of an interesting research project - on an F , if you can feel them, you can probably get them out. :D

I would have figured these were totally straightforward - obviously not. :p

Britt

i bet its the COPS that have him confused...

Coil packs? I'm always in a state of general confusion, lol :D

But lookin down at the engine it seems that one could remove more than you actually need to. But I have been looking and searching. I'm kinda understanding it here but when I go out the garage I hope it works. The aluminum heads seem to put up a fight.......................?

Coil On Plug 'S lol.... its just one bolt i believe to pull the cop out then its just a straight shot to the plug.. ive never taken one out so thats all i know.. oh and i know that your supposed to clean the COP boots and check em since you have em out...

seriously tho a ford manual is key.. chiltons and haynes dont compare to a ford manual... they will tell you everything like torque specs (which i believe is 14lbs) its a good piece i own a factory model for all of my cars..

The Bullitt Archive website is what I used as a reference - great pics, detailed how-to...and, for this exercise, the motors are the same - simply put, it's the intake manifold that's different...that's it.

+1

All the info you could ever want ...

Yeah, great link.

These have not been changed in a very very long time. Has anyone ever removed the coil packs, blow all the loose dust and debris out. THEN spray some sorta lubricant / loosener around the top of the plug. Wait until the next day, blow all that out with and air hose and then try to remove the plugs?

Plug change complete. Piece of cake. It took longer cleaning the top of the engine off so no dirt would drop down into the spark plug well. I tightened up to 14-16lbs. I will say when you hit bottom with the plugs and the tighten them up, you feel as if you want to reallly crank them a bit tighter but I resisted the urge. All in all it was much easier that I thought it would be. I'm also thankfull I had the link to the "Bullit spark change out" The links helped very much. Thanks :)

First off, welcome to the site! We are VERY pleased to have you here.

You'll be workin' like a pro in no time. I knew nothing about CARS (in general) when I got my Mustang. A couple of friends helped me install my X-pipe, and from there, I just wanted to do everything else I could all by myself (with a helping hand). You might even find people in your area that would be more than willing to come over and share a couple of beers with you while you two change your spark plugs. I got help from deftsound on my spark plugs, coolant change, and attempted fuel filter change. (Hey deft, I still have that fuel filter just laying around!)

go and buy yourself a ford service manual.. best $40 you will ever spend... and from the sound of it.. you will use it alot..
+1 Buy yourself a Chilton and a Haynes and any other Ford service manual you can get your hands on. I use them both quite a bit. Like today, I'll be using the Chilton to find the fuse that leads to my radio so that I can tap my radar detector into the hot line via an add-a-fuse.

My Haynes = gift from gf
My Chilton = $21 at AutoZone

Good luck! And don't be afraid to ask any questions around here. Around here, there's no such thing as a stupid question, EVEN if it IS a post about PET PICTURES!!! (jk, Doc & Eos, jk. WE LOVE YOU TWO!)

Its easy.

Only thing you have to remove is unclipping one connection on the drivers side, and removing the intake tube on the passenger side.

Aside from that just a ratched, correct sized sockets, an extension and a telescoping magnet (to retreive the plug) is all you need.

Its definatly a good idea to blow the plug wells out though, they get really nasty down there. Also do not overtighten the plugs, or undertighten them. 4.6's are KNOWN to blow plugs out of the head, they are very tempermental.

Change them on a cold motor only also.