2000 GT Rear End into '68 Coupe?

custompony

Jul 7, 2011
I have the opportunity to pick up an 8.8 from a 2000 Mustang GT with 3.73 gears. I currently have the stock 8 inch with drum brakes. I have 1/2" spacers on each side to run some 17x8 Bullitts. As I understand it, the 8 inch is 59.25" and the 2000 8.8 is 61.0625" per the FAQ on this forum. Adding my spacers I get a difference of about .8 inches. Is there anything else I'm missing dimension wise? Is this swap possible?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure you already realize that you'll need to cut all of the current shock, spring and swing arm mounts off of the axle and weld on spring pads? You also need to think about if there is a difference in pinion length and drive shaft attachment, meaning you may have to modify your drive shaft or get/have a different one made.
My $.02,
Gene

This, as far as I know of.... is not a bolt in deal. The differentials are different. Can it be done..... heck yah... can you weld??? The question is... haw much time and patience do you have to get the project done. Most anything is possible with these old cars, you just need some skill here and there..... with some beer for liquid courage. Just sayen.

Anything is possible with the right amount of $$$. If you are handy with a welder and have all the proper tools then this job can be done reasonably cheap. On top of what Gene mentioned you also have to consider a method for hooking up the e-brake, then getting a proper proportioning valve for your rear brakes since they will now be disc instead of drum. There are lots of 8.8's under classics, in fact im sure there is a thread on it somewhere.

horseballz - figured that and yeah there is a lot of stuff to be cut off.

nmemjcm - am i looking at a lot more welding than just the spring pads and fabbing up some shock plates?

robbz28 - yeah haven't figured out what to do for the e-brake. would a 1" bore disc/disc MC work rather than plumbing a prop valve?

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like this has the potential to turn into more work than I care to deal with.

Im not familiar with different master cylinders...you will have to research that on your own. As far as the shock mounts, those bolt on underneath the springs, so no fabbing required there, in fact the only welding that has to be done is the spring perches.