Engine 2002 gt ect location at harness

Hey everyone. New guy here. I recently bought an 02 gt. Had to replace the motor and im having an issue finding where the plug on the harness is to the ect. Think i read it is located in the back around the firewall but i do not see a plug. Wondering if anyone could correct me and or post a picture of theirs plugged in to help me out a little. Thank you in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Just to confirm you are looking for the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT). For the 4.6 SOHC motor the ECT sensor is located on the front of the intake manifold first runner. This is usually metal and is the coolant cross over. The wire colors are LG/RD and GY/RD.

It might help if we had some pictures to look at.
Actually i have this picture available. This is the plug/harness running off the ect

Attachments

• 20190604_190055.jpg
    20190604_190055.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 1,140
Just wondering. Did the replacement motor come from a Ford Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car)? If so, the wire that is going under the intake manifold is a cylinder head temperature sensor (CHT). The Mustang GT does NOT use a CHT. There is nothing to connect the CHT to on a Mustang.

Just wondering. Did the replacement motor come from a Ford Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car)? If so, the wire that is going under the intake manifold is a cylinder head temperature sensor (CHT). The Mustang GT does NOT use a CHT. There is nothing to connect the CHT to on a Mustang.
From what i am aware of yes it is out of a crown vic. There is two plugs coming out from underneath the one pictured from what i could tell is on an ect. There is another plug that was from a cht which on this motor does not exist.

Ill have to pop off the intake manifold to show better pic im thinking.
That seems a little "extreme" to me? Let me ask you. Are there any DTC codes (check engine)?

What are the wire colors? Perhaps YE/LG and GY/RD? If so, these are wire colors used by the CHT under the intake manifold.

I'm some what lost on how to help you. The CHT wire comes out from under the intake at that exact spot has a connector that looks just like that.

If there's another connector that is of interest, how about a picture?

That seems a little "extreme" to me? Let me ask you. Are there any DTC codes (check engine)?

What are the wire colors? Perhaps YE/LG and GY/RD? If so, these are wire colors used by the CHT under the intake manifold.

I'm some what lost on how to help you. The CHT wire comes out from under the intake at that exact spot has a connector that looks just like that.

If there's another connector that is of interest, how about a picture?
The wire i think is in the wrong position since i have 2 wires coming out the front of that area. The plug i have in my hand has i think a white color wire and white with red wire. I havent been able to scan the car yet but my cooling fan runs constant and temp gauge does not work. Id have to take more pictures tomorrow

Some Ford products also use a knock sensor that is bolted to the center of the engine valley. This gives two wires coming from under the intake manifold. CHT and knock sensor.

The Mustang does not use a knock sensor or a CHT sensor. So there won't be any place to plug those sensors into.

IF the cooling fan is running all the time and the dash temperature gauge is is in-op, IMO this should be trouble shot as a straight ECT problem. For the Mustang the ECT sensor located on the right side of the first intake runner and the only coolant sensor that matters.

OBTW, the ECT sensor "tells" the PCM what the coolant temperature is. The PCM then "tells" the cluster temperature gauge what to display. Therefore a problem with the ECT sensor (or wiring) will affect both.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? Even better one with bi-directional capabilities? If so, this might make very short work of this problem.

Here's some information on an affordable Windows based unit.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

With the ODB2 scanner you can find out what the PCM "thinks" is the ECT value. With bi-directional controls you can also "command" the PCM to turn on the low speed and/or high speed cooling fans. With this information you will know if this is a sensor, wiring, or control problem.

Last edited:
Alright so i was just working on the mustang. I think we are on the same page now because i was over thinking. The picture shown is ect plug and plugs into the right side of the intake where the ect is located? I think reason why i was so confused is mine was broken off so clean i could not tell a sensor was even there lol. So now i need to order a new ect since mine is broke.

Attachments

• 20190606_181117.jpg
    20190606_181117.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 403
I thought originally the ect was in the actual head under the intake but after reading again what you mentioned the first plug pictured is to a cht or knock sensor at the front left of the head. This swap has been a pain in the ass lol. My first swap ever.