2002 vs 2004 mustang

• Sponsors (?)

I've noticed from varying sources that the curb weight has been creeping up on GTs every year since 99 without any additional power gains. Anyone know the reason? I know one year they made power driver seat standard on GTs and some small parts on the engine have undergone some minor design changes, plus the addition of the hood and side scoop pieces in 2001 but they don't seem like they would make up for the increases I've seen. I suppose there could be differences in the options as tested between the sources, but I didn't think they would make that much of a difference either. :shrug: That's kinda why I went with a 2001 instead of something newer. I like the look better than the 99/00 GTs, but I wanted to keep the weight down.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious.

The materials seems a little cheaper in the 04's. I work at a Ford dealer, and the quality of my 01 and the 02's seem a little better than the 04's. The steering wheel seems a little thicker, the door panels seal better, and seem to be made from a higher quality plastic. Asthetically, they look identical. The only difference you will be able to see is that the center a/c vents do not have the air block lever on the 04's. Mine has that and I am dumbfounded why they had that removed on the 04's.

fellamansteve said:
I've noticed from varying sources that the curb weight has been creeping up on GTs every year since 99 without any additional power gains. Anyone know the reason? I know one year they made power driver seat standard on GTs and some small parts on the engine have undergone some minor design changes, plus the addition of the hood and side scoop pieces in 2001 but they don't seem like they would make up for the increases I've seen. I suppose there could be differences in the options as tested between the sources, but I didn't think they would make that much of a difference either. :shrug: That's kinda why I went with a 2001 instead of something newer. I like the look better than the 99/00 GTs, but I wanted to keep the weight down.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious.

My 03 GT weighs 3195 without me and 1/8th tank of gas, no spare or jack.

StngStr said:
My 03 GT weighs 3195 without me and 1/8th tank of gas, no spare or jack.

I've read in places that the '01s weigh 3114 stock, no specifics on what was in the fuel tank, etc. 02s I've read were somewhere in between 01 and 03 and 04s were heavier yet. I haven't actually weighed mine. It seems wierd to me because I didn't think the car had changed that much and it is just what I have read, which means it could be :bs: Just curious if anyone knew what the deal was.

My LX weighs 3210 without me in it.

So you guys are telling me my '03 which is a physcially larger car and is huge when parked side by side with it weighs about the same?? It feels 300-400 pounds heavier when i drive the '03. The newer car is definitely heavier than my Fox.

my freind baught a 04 and thats why i was wondering. he said the seats are a little different and there is a package that comes with the 40th aniversary addition. I believe you can get stripes down your car and of course the 40th aniversary badge. I read up in a magazine where it said they did minor refinements to the engine and i have heard that the exhaust sounded louder on the 04.