2003 Cobra's Valued higher than 2005 GT..

Anybody notice this yet?

The 2003 and 2004 Cobra's are more valuable with several thousands of miles than the 2005 GT.. What does it all mean?

2003 Cobra value
http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/kb...ra+Coupe+2D&yr=2003&zip=95035&submit=Continue

2004 Cobra value

http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/kb...ra+Coupe+2D&yr=2004&zip=95035&submit=Continue

I posted this to get a picture of how hard it is going to be to shoot for the GT500 sometime late next year.. If this is any indication of things to come, I would bet they will try and seriously rape 1st adopters of the GT500.. I am really shocked to see that the 2004 Cobra with 21,000 miles is worth more than the MSRP of the car ringing in at $32,000+

To all the 2003/2004 Cobra owners, nice job!! You guys have the winners.. Try your best not to trade them in if you can.. They are keepers.. :nice:

I myself used to have a 93 Cobra.. I sure am glad I dumped it... Look at this.. This is horrible!!

http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/kb...atchback+2D&yr=1993&zip=95035&submit=Continue

Let me clarify alittle on the 93 Cobra.. Of course owning one is kool.. But I dont believe the 93's had as much pure value relative to the Mustangs at the same time as the 2003 and 2004 Mustang Cobra's.. Looky here.. A 2003 GT Mustang=

http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/kb...GT+Coupe+2D&yr=2003&zip=95035&submit=Continue

Thats quite a spread, when both cars were pretty close in price at the time of purchase..

So this is the bottom line.. In regards to current 2005 GT's, can we expect the prices to fall dramatically as it did with the 2003 Mustangs? Or do you think the 2005 GT based on the completely new body style will not suffer from such a huge drop in value relative to the MSRP of the cars at the time of purchase.? Basically, does the introduction of the GT500 have a negative impact on current GT owners? That is to say, current GT owners reality is, the longer the GT500 is put off the better?

• Sponsors (?)

the value of a car is what people will pay for it, not what blue book says. I'd bet if you sold an 05 GT with 5-10K on it you'd still get close to MSRP...
I don't have any false hope of my 05 retaining that kind of value for very long though...

thats slightly misleading..i've seen 03 cobras going for 24.5k, with under 20,000 miles on them..not bad for a car 3 model years old. there are big prices to be paid for 03/04's but usually only at a stealership.

Yes I hear ya General.. I was just shocked to see the Cobra's literally holding that much value.. Now, we must also keep in mind, that these numbers up above could change dramatically once the 05 Mustangs hit Kelley's Blue book.. So these numbers are not set in stone at all.. It will be interesting to see how the 2003-2004 Cobras hold up to the pressure of the new 2005 GT's.. I wonder what the spread would be.. I dont think Kelley would value the 2003-04 Cobras higher than the 05 GT's when the new book is out..

I mean, is the prime time for people in 03 and 04 Cobras to get out of them now? Based on this estimate, they could get some good cash on trade right now for an 05GT.. If they wait until 06, they could stand to lose $10,000 in value towards a trade.. These are very serious questions.. This could go either way..

Also, what happens to the value of the 03 04 Cobra's once the GT500 hits the street? Could they lose another 5 or 6K? Damn.. This is a confusing situation.. If they dump it, and it maintains, they lose.. If they keep it and the value dumps they lose.. :shrug:

I mean, of course in my opinion if you own an 03-04 Cobra, I would say keep it.. So only if they try and make a move does this scenario really matter.. But by all means, I really have high respect for the 03-04 Cobra's as a car period.. Much more than I had for my 93 Cobra which to me was a GT with a GT40 motor in it..

The Cobra is likely going to still be "valued" more than the 05 gt. There is a matter of more limited production on the Cobra. Rather than lack of capacity for the 05. I would think the real values will be close. But eventually the cobra will be worth more than the gt. It's just like a food chain. The big dog always wins.

MSP said:
I mean, is the prime time for people in 03 and 04 Cobras to get out of them now? Based on this estimate, they could get some good cash on trade right now for an 05GT..

With all due respect I don't think to many Cobra owners would be intrested in trading down to a GT, next years Cobra ...... maybe

Imo 03-04 cobras are over priced right now. The cheeper ones ive seen are 26-27k used. I beleive it all depends on what you want to do with it. For a daily driver I think your better off getting an 05 simply cause its newer, youa re only losing 90hp (yes I know it is quite a drop), and wont have to worry about servicing a s/c soon after you buy it. If you want a car to mod then the cobra is the way to go, there are more mods for it right now, easier to mod because of internals, and it already come s/c. In the long haul the new gt will drop and the cobra will hold its value better, no doubt about it. The GT's are hot right now but it will die down sometime this next (06) model year. While I would love either car I went with the 06 GT cause I could get it cheeper through x plan than I could get a cobra, and i like the looks better. If I want the xtra power I will just wait and save money to drop into it. Cause remember your only as fast as you can afford.

romans8:28 said:
With all due respect I don't think to many Cobra owners would be intrested in trading down to a GT, next years Cobra ...... maybe

By all means, dont let the Terminator go... I was just curious to see your car holdin its value like a Porsche.. I have never seen an American car besides a Vette hold its value so well in 2 yrs and 40,000 miles.. Yes sir, you had a very good day the day you bought that Cobra.. Feel proud. The 2004 Cobra has gotya covered!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you rollin into next year when the 05's are introduced to Kelley!! But yeah, its a keeper.. :nice:

Supply and demand.

Right now 03 / 04 Cobras are "over" priced because there is not a comparable 05 / 06 Mustang model.

Saying is another way:
Demand for >300 HP Mustangs is HIGH - Supply of >300 HP Mustangs is LOW

I'd expect 03 / 04 Cobras will hold their values pretty well over the next year even when the GT500 comes out. Initially GT500s will be next to impossible to get so some people will get used 03 / 04 Cobras instead.

However, once the GT500 are out in reasonable #s, the 03 / 04 Cobras will drop significantly in price.

i think cobras will hold value till the next cobr comes along. the 05 06 gt will drop just like every other gt as soon as every has one. there will be tons of these gts hitting the streets. that = value going down.

the 03/04 cobra might even hold a little value when the next cobra comes out because they only made them for 2 years in that body style. :shrug:

Let's not get too crazy here... everyone should know better than to put faith in 'high retail' (a.k.a, "Sellers Dream") prices as quoted by Yahoo, KBB, Edmunds, etc. LOL...

As far as 03/04 Cobras having more value than an 05 GT -- well, considering that about 12-18 months ago, they stickered at almost $8,000 more than an 05 GT Deluxe costs today -- what's the mystery???

Make no mistake... I really like the 03/04 Cobra, they are awesome cars... I *very* nearly bought a 2004, but decided to wait for the 2005 GT. I'm very happy with the 05 GT, I know I made the right choice. In a perfect world, I'd have one of each... :)

All Cobras (not just 03/04's) are holding their value. It is simple, just like the Z06 will hold better than the standard Vettes.

It also helps that the 03/04's are special cars. They will hold their value. When the 06 comes by and very few can afford them, the 03/04 will become that much more desireable.

Kent5 said:
Let's not get too crazy here... everyone should know better than to put faith in 'high retail' (a.k.a, "Sellers Dream") prices as quoted by Yahoo, KBB, Edmunds, etc. LOL...

As far as 03/04 Cobras having more value than an 05 GT -- well, considering that about 12-18 months ago, they stickered at almost $8,000 more than an 05 GT Deluxe costs today -- what's the mystery???

Make no mistake... I really like the 03/04 Cobra, they are awesome cars... I *very* nearly bought a 2004, but decided to wait for the 2005 GT. I'm very happy with the 05 GT, I know I made the right choice. In a perfect world, I'd have one of each... :)

With all due respect Kent5, nice to meet you, the mystery is the prices are based on 40,000 miles... Please put 40,000 miles on your 05 GT, and see how much you will get for it.. I am inclined to take your view on things, however I want to reserve the right to view Kelleys 2005 Mustang prices in 2006..

So lets hookup again at the first of the year, and see how things stand Kent.. Something tells me that the 03-04 Cobras are pure collectors items..

Maybe its this video.. You know the guy Duner.. He is a Mod around here.. LOL!! Nah, he is kool as hell... My mentor..

http://www.nwstangs.com/users/duner/DYNO/duner2run.AVI

This video drives me insane man!! Damn!! :D

There are people who paid $5,000 over sticker for a new Mach 1 must a couple of years ago with no rebate. Before the model year was over, dealers were selling at invoice or below and Ford was also offering a rebate.
Pure supply and demand.
Our Mustangs are used cars once we buy them and the values will eventually drop accordingly.
Rebates will also come back, but it will be awhile, maybe a year of two. A new car is never an investment. Expect maybe the new Shelby but it will take many years to make any serious cash.

Most of Fords "special edition" vehicles will usually hold a high value, especially if they were made in low numbers. Naturally they will be worth more than the standard edition of the same or following year. An 01 Cobra would still be worth more than an 03 GT, even being 2 years older. Of course, the fact that the car STARTED at a higher price to begin with also plays into it. I don't think it's really fair to compare an 03-04 Cobra to an 05 GT as far as value. They are not the same car, and don't really share anything related but the name.

As for the 03-04's value on it's own, it's going to hold for quite some time. The cars are STILL in demand, therfore people selling used ones can get premium prices. Plus the fact that the 03-04 Cobra is the most performance packed Mustang Ford has EVER built. The car is a bargin even at 35k for what you get for it.

And then of course supply and demand. People still want it, Ford doesn't make it anymore. I see the same thing with the Lightnings. People are paying just few grand under 04's stick price for used Lightnings, because you can't get one from Ford anymore :).

Power Surge said:
Most of Fords "special edition" vehicles will usually hold a high value, especially if they were made in low numbers. Naturally they will be worth more than the standard edition of the same or following year. An 01 Cobra would still be worth more than an 03 GT, even being 2 years older. Of course, the fact that the car STARTED at a higher price to begin with also plays into it. I don't think it's really fair to compare an 03-04 Cobra to an 05 GT as far as value. They are not the same car, and don't really share anything related but the name.

As for the 03-04's value on it's own, it's going to hold for quite some time. The cars are STILL in demand, therfore people selling used ones can get premium prices. Plus the fact that the 03-04 Cobra is the most performance packed Mustang Ford has EVER built. The car is a bargin even at 35k for what you get for it.

And then of course supply and demand. People still want it, Ford doesn't make it anymore. I see the same thing with the Lightnings. People are paying just few grand under 04's stick price for used Lightnings, because you can't get one from Ford anymore :).

+2, Think about what the Cobra gives you, built bottom end essentially good to 550-575rwhp, IRS, T-56 six speed, etc. When the GT500 comes out probably $40K msrp plus your markup from the dealer, no irs, styling is subjective, added weight, but a 5.4 with a roots type blower. Is this a better overall car? Possibly. Time will tell. One thing for sure on the Island is the 03-04 Cobra have held their value remarkably.

If gas prices keep going up I wonder how many people will get rid of their cobras, vettes etc.. Might get a real deal on an 03 in a few months :D

What do you guys think the breaking point will be 3.25, 3.50 a gallon?
I have a feeling there are going to be some hot cars for cheap :banana:

That is if prices keep going up.

Alec said:
...I have a feeling there are going to be some hot cars for cheap :banana:
I agree. Right after xmas, Jan/Feb06, I think there will be some screaming bargains for 03/04 Cobras. Especially with all the hoopla for the GT500.

So, is it worth $45K++ out-the-door for an 07 GT500 (if you can get one) when, for half the price, you can get similar power from a mildly-mod'ed used Cobra? I'm beginning to re-think whether I want a GT500.

Follow the used-car action:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=192