2003 Mach 1 engine in a 1999 cobra?

srochefort

Oct 10, 2008
Please read the whole story before offering input. I did the Eaton swap from a 2003 Cobra to my 1999. Everything went fine, had to switch out a "lot" more than was originally anticipated. During the 2nd day of a track event, I broke a piston ring. (My tuner, Pro Dyno, told me not to be running it at WOT, sorry Dan I should have listened) Anyway, the plan was to buy a long block and drop it in. However the $6000+ price tag is not an option right now. So, I found a complete setup from a 99 Cobra from MPS Auto Salvage. I figured I could just put it back to stock for now and have the other engine built later. I chose the buy it now option on ebay and immediately paid for the engine. 2 days later, they sent me an email saying that someone had purchased the engine from the store front, 2 hours prior to me buying it online. Now they are offering a 2003 Mach 1 engine in it's place. And now for my questions.
1. Will the Mach 1 fit into my 99 Cobra? Keep in mind that I have already swapped it for the 03 model and I do not want to do any more custom work. I still have all the stock 99 parts.
2. Is it beneficial? I know the 99 Cobra engine is rated at 320 HP while the Mach 1 is 305. Also, it is from an automatic which has the 6 bolt crank. My car is manual.

• Sponsors (?)

The 2003 Mach 1 motor should be for the most part exactly the same as your 99 motor. Find out if the Mach 1 motor came from an A/T or M/T equipped Mach because it DOES make a difference. The M/T equipped Mach motor has a better crank in it I believe. Regardless of that, it should be a direct swap.

U.M.

Thanks for the input. I decided to not get the Mach 1 engine due to the 6 bolt cast crank and the lower redline. Good news though, I found a 2001 Cobra motor with 50,000 miles on it for about the same price. Unless I am mistaken, this should fit right into my 99 Cobra with no changes at all. Thanks again, and wish me luck.