2003 Mustang Gt Quarter Window Trim Repair Question

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Now that my GT has been painted, I think I'm going to turn my attention to the black trim that's on it and try to at least spruce it up to look black again.

Looking back, I should've asked the shop to do something with the strip of metal or whatever that's at the leading edge of the quarter window while they had the windows out of the car. Or at least let me take them and refinish them. The driver side trim isn't in bad shape; maybe just a little faded...but the passenger side trim is pitted all to hell and I don't understand how that happened. What material is that trim? Is it a hard plastic or is it metal?

Here's what my passenger side trim looks like (I'm pointing at it):
ay48ZdZDOMIw9iYtucwHG080j58p_9yFEQNLvifZbWyRe6cX0L7B8WTlB6gfOPI722bvhchtAz9lVDvABp8=w439-h779-no.jpg

And here's the driver's side:
a10ieclCQ5mWkdI_vNQNXmhXOUn9eMmLjHtgOzuygA5PsMJzxcO3jPjgVYqcnY6zBGgsJoXwa4ftF3Rn-jw=w439-h779-no.jpg

I thought I'd take an easy way out for a "refinish" and just apply some glossy black vinyl over them. I did this with the pillar trim on my '03 Explorer and it looks decent, and it was easy. But that pitted trim on the passenger side presents a challenge since the vinyl will probably contour to all those pits.

Can I fill that with something and then apply vinyl over that? I really don't want to have to take the window out at this point since it was just out...maybe eventually one day down the road, I'll do that, but for now I'm just looking for a "quick fix."

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)