2003 Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

Probably you going to have to do the world famous Cranks But Does Not Start Checklist. Really not the most fun list you will ever see, but if you go through it step by step you might be good enough to be called something. You will certainly get to know your car a lot better. If you read up you might get to hit it with starter fluid to check for a fuel problem. Then check for a spark. Gotta be one or the other

Probably you going to have to do the world famous Cranks But Does Not Start Checklist. Really not the most fun list you will ever see, but if you go through it step by step you might be good enough to be called something. You will certainly get to know your car a lot better. If you read up you might get to hit it with starter fluid to check for a fuel problem. Then check for a spark. Gotta be one or the other
I have spent hours on YouTube looking up all different kinds of check lists....and Guess what? I did them all including the starting fluid in the Intake......it won't start..... I'm going crazy because I can't figure it out ☹️

First thing that comes to mind is the Idle Air Control sensor. Will it start if you give it a little gas? The next is a fuse but I'd imagine you've been through that. Have you done any recent work to it?

No start condition when hot, does point to an overly rich condition, in which depressing the gas pedal while cranking puts the ecu in "flood clear" mode which doesn't fire the injectors while cranking.

I drive the car everyday and for longer periods.........I'm just baffled because it didn't hesitate and it didn't give me any indication anything was wrong

So, does the car start if you depress the gas pedal to the floor during the times it won't restart?

If it does restart then, it points to an overly rich condition which can be caused by a failing sensor (ECT or ACT)

Other questions. Given the car is 19 years old, does the check engine light bulb work? I beleive 2003's were still using incandescent bulbs for the warning lights in the bottom of the cluster. Does the CEL come on if you turn the key to ON, but do not start the car?

Is the CEL illuminated at all? If so, are you able to hook an OBD2 scanner up and pull the codes?

@Nightfire @manicmechanic007
Just for the sake of discussion, a flooded engine condition can happen with a FI engine but not like a carb'd engine, of course with a carb every time you press the go peddle fuel is squirted until the float bowl is emptied, but we all know this, so what happens when you press the go peddle on the EFI engine key off, not running? Well nothing, even when the key is turned on, there may be a quick little spritz of fuel from an injector that is activated at that moment but insignificant, you can stab that peddle all you want and nothing, now a leaking injector(s) can flood the engine, a malfunctioning TPS or other sensor can contribute to an over rich condition, combined with old, weak ignition parts and you have a flooded no start condition so it is possible to flood a EfI engine.
Pressing the go peddle to the floor, just like a carb'd engine, shuts off the injectors when cranking to clear this, I believe it even referred to as a 'clear flood procedure '.
This is based on what I have learned here and personal experience and not based on any actual mechanical certification so don't call me as an expert witness in an automotive related court case

Okay, for the discussion then
Yes it is called flood clear mode for efi vehicles
Your carb'd vehicles when floored to clear it out from flooded
Unloads, the choke mainly, and no more gas flows than at Idle because there is no fast air passing the venturis
It won't run the carb out of gas, and the fuel pump is still pumping while cranking the engine over
The initial big squirt of fuel to wide open throttle WOT the carb and then the fuel flow stops
That's why the choke unloader adjustment and verification is so important on carburetors
Where I live you need have a choke if you are running a carb
Just helped a buddy start his built 69 Camaro yesterday at 20 degrees with no choke
Took a while, needed a bulb with fuel and the Demon started of fire a few times
Fun stuff
I get calls all thee time out of the Blue
Where their car will not start after they drove home or anywhere else
I go over there
Do a WOT start,, and I'll be dammed the thing sputters some then takes off and runs like normal
It's the first thing you do in case of a cranks will not start
If that fails, then it's hood up time and yes you can use a checklist

I have spent hours on YouTube looking up all different kinds of check lists....and Guess what? I did them all including the starting fluid in the Intake......it won't start..... I'm going crazy because I can't figure it out ☹️

Did you confirm you have spark at the plugs?
Did you confirm you have fuel at the injectors?

It takes the big three to start
Spark
Fuel
compression
You double check those and replace the spark plugs again. Check the fuel quality
You did not go buy fuel right before this happened right?
You did not put a bunch of water or diesel in it right? Cut rate gas station?
Everything must be checked again apparently
Then try it again
The plugs are most likely fouled at this point