2004.. Car will die while driving

04stang1998

Mar 23, 2018
Yesterday after i got gas, I was driving back to work, and the car bogged down and then just died. It started right back up, and didnt have any issues until i was on my way home later that day, and it died again as i was coming up to a stop sign. i got a new battery that night and the alternator is less than two months old. The fuel pump is also only a couple months old. im stumped as to what is it since the battery and alternator both tested good as well. Any ideas as to what it could be or has anyone else had this issue?

• Sponsors (?)

This portion is currently my number 1 suspect.

Disconnect the fuel lines at the rails, pump the fuel out into cans, swap the fuel filter and put new gas in it. See what happens next.

Have you pulled EEC codes? If not, do.
This portion is currently my number 1 suspect.

Disconnect the fuel lines at the rails, pump the fuel out into cans, swap the fuel filter and put new gas in it. See what happens next.

Have you pulled EEC codes? If not, do.

Ill give it a try thanks, and there were no codes coming up on my tuner, how do you pump the fuel out? Do i need to empty the tank

Before you do drain the gas tank can I recommend that you DOUBLE check the charging system? Why am I concerned about the bad gas diagnosis? Because bad gas would be there all the time. The motor quitting and then easily restarting is a prime symptom of an electrical problem (battery, battery cable, or alternator problem).

While you stated that you believe the battery and alternator is good has the battery cables and terminals been checked? Almost all auto parts stores will test for free.

Other "possible" sources of this problem could be:
  • Bad ignition switch
  • bad CCRM
  • bad fuel pump
  • loose connection.
  • bad MAF
  • bad IAC
If this were my car before I went to the trouble of draining the tank I would at least disconnect the fuel filter and drain some gas into a clean clear container and visually inspect the fuel. Is it cloudy? Does water settle to the bottom? Does it "smell" different?

And yes it is possible to drain the fuel tank using the car's own fuel pump. Several ways to force the fuel pump to run. The easiest is with a two way ODB2 scanner. The next easiest way is to power the fuel pump directly at the round connector near the center of rear bumper (RD/BK & BN/PK)

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Before you do drain the gas tank can I recommend that you DOUBLE check the charging system? Why am I concerned about the bad gas diagnosis? Because bad gas would be there all the time. The motor quitting and then easily restarting is a prime symptom of an electrical problem (battery, battery cable, or alternator problem).

While you stated that you believe the battery and alternator is good has the battery cables and terminals been checked? Almost all auto parts stores will test for free.

Other "possible" sources of this problem could be:
  • Bad ignition switch
  • bad CCRM
  • bad fuel pump
  • loose connection.
  • bad MAF
  • bad IAC
If this were my car before I went to the trouble of draining the tank I would at least disconnect the fuel filter and drain some gas into a clean clear container and visually inspect the fuel. Is it cloudy? Does water settle to the bottom? Does it "smell" different?

And yes it is possible to drain the fuel tank using the car's own fuel pump. Several ways to force the fuel pump to run. The easiest is with a two way ODB2 scanner. The next easiest way is to power the fuel pump directly at the round connector near the center of rear bumper (RD/BK & BN/PK)

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/
Thank you for the help. ill check over everything first