2005-2009 Project Baseline: First Post From New Member Seeking Guidance

Nicholas Durante

Nov 6, 2013
Looking forward to the information this post should generate. Living in Central Florida currently, and itching to get back into the fold of Mustang Ownership. First car was a 1967 2+2, and also had a 1984 SVO for a short period of time.

As I have developed my vision of what I would like to own next, there are a few key requirements -- I find the Saleen rear clip, which extends the overall bodylength, to be an essential piece of what makes the 2005-2009 bodystyle what it should be.
mustang_saleem.jpg

I am not as partial to the Saleen front end that goes with it, prefering the GT500 grille/bumper, but the standard Shelby Hood ( the one that looks like its been ripped open with a can opener. )

super-snake-dubai-1.jpg

My goal ultimately is to utilize a Crate Ford Engine in this project, ala boss 302 crate engine:

boss-302-crate-engine.jpg

So here is my posed request for input:

Of the myriad of available donor car platforms from 2005 to 2009, are there any in particular that make this project more or less complex, or are more or less suited to a mild performance modd/body mod project such as this? Along the same lines, obviously I will be driving the vehicle prior to the heart transplant, so any advice on inherently "better" or "worse" than average daily driver experiences with specific yr/model/powertrain combinations within that 2005-2009 range?

I look forward to my first interaction with the collective experience of the group, and thank you for reading my request and providing constructive input.

Nicky D
Orlando Florida

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion, there's no significant difference between the 05-09s. I'd just find a clean one and work your way up from there. If you're planning a coyote swap, you could even start with a V-6 car since you'll be swapping body parts, powertrain, and electronics anyway.

Boss 302 crate is no longer available however if you're going for a Coyote swap you can use Aluminator XS, with long tubes it will make 500HP at streetable RPM's with stock compression so adding a blower is still an option.

5.0L Aluminator XS

curious to know why you believe that the 302 is no longer available -- i see several opportunities to purchase one - am i missing something?

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/50L-Mustang-BOSS-302-Crate-Engine-Ford-Racing.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007-m50s/overview/make/ford

I suppose you could go with an 07 or 08 Shelby GT 500 that sells in the mid $30k range....it's already supercharged and easily produces over 600 hp. All that's left are cosmetics added to a strong powertrain. I know I could spend way more on my 05 GT and still have a less powerful car. Hindsight is a beatch.

I suggest buying a V6 shell, since you are going to be swapping most of the performance parts anyways with this build, start with a V6.

The V6 also uses the same splash shields as the GT500 front end, so that makes the front end swap slightly easier.

It really depends if you are focused on the cosmetics, or performance. You can buy all of the GT500 interior bits like the gauges, dash etc...

Nick C.