• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

2nd gear probs in 3550

  • Thread starter Thread starter mustangarret
  • Start date Start date Sep 12, 2009

mustangarret

New Member
Jun 4, 2009
3
0
0
Sep 12, 2009
#1
  • Sep 12, 2009
  • #1
Got my 95 cobra about three months ago, it has always been tough to get into 2nd gear and always grinds when running through them. When I bought this car it had been in a garage for three years, the transmission was replaced just slightly before it was parked. The previous owner said that it only had about 2k miles on it. From the searching I have done it seems to need a mainshaft, but I was going to ask to see if any one has had the same problems and it be something else. Any help would be great.
 

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,133
18
108
Chicagoland
Sep 13, 2009
#2
  • Sep 13, 2009
  • #2
Sounds like a clutch adjustment issue to me, but could very likely be a 1-2 synchro, too.

Moved to 94-95 Tech.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 13, 2009
#3
  • Sep 13, 2009
  • #3
Not sure what you mean by mainshaft. It could very well be a clutch adjustment. There are 3 shafts in the transmission, an input, an output, and a countershaft. If it isn't the clutch, than that synchronizer has likely worn down a bit. Those transmissions are very easy to work on, and you can download the overhaul manual from TCI for free.

Kurt
 

mustangarret

New Member
Jun 4, 2009
3
0
0
Sep 13, 2009
#4
  • Sep 13, 2009
  • #4
It could be the clutch adjustment, I have no play at the top and it bearly disingages when pressed all the way down. Cable adjustment really dosn't help, only makes it worse. I have an adjustable ball stud and a new quadrant to go on it. Before I get started any suggestions or am I going the right way with the ball stud and quadrant? Keep in mind that it is only second that I am having probs with, all other gears are great.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 13, 2009
#5
  • Sep 13, 2009
  • #5
mustangarret said:
It could be the clutch adjustment, I have no play at the top and it bearly disingages when pressed all the way down. Cable adjustment really dosn't help, only makes it worse. I have an adjustable ball stud and a new quadrant to go on it. Before I get started any suggestions or am I going the right way with the ball stud and quadrant? Keep in mind that it is only second that I am having probs with, all other gears are great.
Click to expand...

Yeah, those are a good place to start. I've seen that same situation before, and it was because the clutch cable had come unbolted from the inside fender. The cable has to be attached to the inside fender somewhere. There is a bracket with one bolt that holds it on. If that bolt comes undone, the cable flexes too much, which keeps the clutch from disengaging.

Kurt
 

mustangarret

New Member
Jun 4, 2009
3
0
0
Sep 14, 2009
#6
  • Sep 14, 2009
  • #6
Thanks for all the help. This weekend I will put the ball stud and new quadrant in, also check the cable. Maybe that will fix my problems.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 14, 2009
#7
  • Sep 14, 2009
  • #7
If that doesn't fix it, I would recommend changing the cable.

Kurt
 

mustangarret

New Member
Jun 4, 2009
3
0
0
Sep 14, 2009
#8
  • Sep 14, 2009
  • #8
Just ordered a new cable this morning. Figured while I was working on it I should replace it anyway, it may save some time in the long run.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
177
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
Mustang II 4 cyl gear hunting and possibly messed up vacuum system
  • oesterreicher
  • May 31, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
11
Views
457
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Jun 14, 2026
manicmechanic007
Drivetrain How much resistance, if any at all, is normal on a new 1st gear and synchro on a WC T5 transmission?
  • sleep-e
  • Jan 21, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
311
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 22, 2026
sleep-e
C
C4 trans help needed
  • CPH89LX
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
291
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 28, 2026
CPH89LX
C
D
66 Coupe Progress Thread
  • DTCRAWLEY
  • Apr 19, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 17, 2026
DTCRAWLEY
D
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?