3.8 to 4.6 swap

alexhwt

Nov 27, 2020
North Dakota
Hey guys I'm in the process of swapping my 99 Mustang 3.8l to a 4.6l out of an 05 lincoln town car, I've got almost everything for getting the engine and trans in the car so that I'm not worried about I'm just curious will a 4.6 out of a town car mesh up with all the gt wiring harness and all that jazz also performance wise are there any specific mods a guy should throw in? I have different cams, cold air intake, throttle body, intake manifold, headers, 3.73 rear end. I've been looking at trick flow heads, are they worth the cost or am I better off getting a set off a mustang 4.6 and working them? Just looking for suggestions not trying to build a strictly track car but want to be able to take it to a few 1/8 drags and not lose Everytime.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah if you have the budget for the tfs heads that a simple +100rwhp bolt on. You should use tfs specific cams though. And you will need to use GT supercar followers. With the tfs heads you will need at least 30 lb injectors minimum and an upgraded maf. Best bet is to toss siemens deka 80s in it from chris at poweraddsolutions (be careful buying elsewhere as most places sell fake knock offs that damage engines) and a pmas hpx-e slot maf. Needless to say you will need a custom tune so you will need to get a moates quarterhorse.

Wiring with the town car harness has the ecu on the driver side where as on the stang its in the passenger kick. Best bet would be to snatch an ecu and wiring harness from a 99-01 GT auto as it would save you a bunch of time.

yeah if you have the budget for the tfs heads that a simple +100rwhp bolt on. You should use tfs specific cams though. And you will need to use GT supercar followers. With the tfs heads you will need at least 30 lb injectors minimum and an upgraded maf. Best bet is to toss siemens deka 80s in it from chris at poweraddsolutions (be careful buying elsewhere as most places sell fake knock offs that damage engines) and a pmas hpx-e slot maf. Needless to say you will need a custom tune so you will need to get a moates quarterhorse.

Wiring with the town car harness has the ecu on the driver side where as on the stang its in the passenger kick. Best bet would be to snatch an ecu and wiring harness from a 99-01 GT auto as it would save you a bunch of time.
Ok good to know I have both wiring harness so I'll go with the gt harness, was hoping the comp cams cams would still work but can change that up. Was going to build one way but plans changed for the better so not opposed to different cams. Have an aftermarket maf haven't went with injectors yet because also debating boost either turbo or supercharger not 100% what route yet.