347 stoker help

piedraco

May 29, 2007
hey, first let me tell you about my car:
I got an 89 vert, stroked to 347, trickflow heads and stage 1 cam, bbk 75mm TB and EGR, trickflow upper plenum with intake manifold, mac shorty headers and full exhaust, underdrive pullety, 7qt oil pan (moroso), t-56, and some other stuff that I cant remember right now.

by changing the cam on the motor, does that change the sound, because it sounds LOUD as hell compared to what it used to sound like.

I installed it last week and I finally got it to turn on last night, but there are some problems and I dont know where to begin.
First of all i think there is a vacuum leak somewhere and I have no idea where its comming from, the only thing I can think of is this junction of vacuum lines on the passenger side by the firewall, its got 4 vacuum lines merging into a rubber retainer and then 1 vacuum coming out of the top for the EGR. I dont know if it's supposed to look like that because when I took out the stock engine i didnt notice it.

another problem i am having is that its backfiring, i am thinking that this is related somehow to the mysterious vacuum leak, or my valaves arent correctly tightened down.

one more problem. as i shut off the engine I hear a whistling sound like as if pressure is being released from somewhere. I am thinking that maybe this has something to do with my fuel injectors not sitting properly, maybe an O ring is bad or something, It's loud as hell when the engine turns off. also i have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a gauge and the system is not holding pressure when the engine is turned off, is it supposed to?

• Sponsors (?)

hey, first let me tell you about my car:
I got an 89 vert, stroked to 347, trickflow heads and stage 1 cam, bbk 75mm TB and EGR, trickflow upper plenum with intake manifold, mac shorty headers and full exhaust, underdrive pullety, 7qt oil pan (moroso), t-56, and some other stuff that I cant remember right now.

by changing the cam on the motor, does that change the sound, because it sounds LOUD as hell compared to what it used to sound like.

I installed it last week and I finally got it to turn on last night, but there are some problems and I dont know where to begin.
First of all i think there is a vacuum leak somewhere and I have no idea where its comming from, the only thing I can think of is this junction of vacuum lines on the passenger side by the firewall, its got 4 vacuum lines merging into a rubber retainer and then 1 vacuum coming out of the top for the EGR. I dont know if it's supposed to look like that because when I took out the stock engine i didnt notice it.

another problem i am having is that its backfiring, i am thinking that this is related somehow to the mysterious vacuum leak, or my valaves arent correctly tightened down.

one more problem. as i shut off the engine I hear a whistling sound like as if pressure is being released from somewhere. I am thinking that maybe this has something to do with my fuel injectors not sitting properly, maybe an O ring is bad or something, It's loud as hell when the engine turns off. also i have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a gauge and the system is not holding pressure when the engine is turned off, is it supposed to?

The cam will give you a different lope sound through the exhaust and may change the note but it wont make it louder.

I dont think a vacuum leak will cause a back fire. Im thinking a possible ignition problem or the lack of.

As far as the pressure gauge, I havent hooked mine up but im pretty sure its supposed to lose pressure after you shut down the engine because the pump will be shut down and the pressureized fuel will return to the tank.

I hope i was some help. Im sure others will chime in

awesome thanks for your input, the car ran fine when it had the stock engine in it. maybe the spark plug wires arent in all the way . I checked the distributor for spark and its getting spark from the coil. I think the backfire might be comming from either the valves need to be adjusted or something else i cant think of. What year is your mustang?

mines a 93 lx. The next week or so ill be starting mine for the first time in a few weeks. I pulled everything to do a trick flow h/c/i and all supporting mods for it plus a tremec tko.