Drivetrain $35 Electric Power Steering With Fail-safe - No Ebay Module And No Caster Issues!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I can see that I'll be the Huckleberry here.

The advantages are numerous if it can be made to work reliably. For me, I don't need no stinkin 15:1 sport rack, so the less effort from a 20:1 would be used ( it's still a bitch to steer in the parking lot)
I don't like how cluttered the monsters engine compartment is getting, so being able to get rid of the pump and reservoir would be a huge incentive to try this.
All current BMW's use EPS..they do so to save weight, reduce parasitic loss, and to gain mileage and power as a result.
Those would be my reasons too, only I'm not trying this with anything that has those three letters on it.

If the systems that OP has linked fail safe to manual steer, then what's to lose here? Short of the eps motor not being capable of driving the heavier track width on my front end and burning up frequently, I'd be all about trying to make this work.

It's not gonna happen till this winter though...I'm done modifying sht this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Since early Fox did not have airbag, this mod would be as easy in Fox as early Classic. Plus its easy to get a manual Rack & Pinion for a Fox. Early classic are stuck with sloppy steering box which is why I converted my Falcon to Rack & Pinion. If I recall, Coyote does not have provision for power steering pump so why stay with manual rack and pinion. Junkyards are full of EPS now!

Waid
hi waid im converting my old jeep using kia picanto eps column but dosnt work on 3 wire, you think i can use ECU kia soul
on the kia picanto column, motor etc? or do i have to change all to get 3 wire hookup not sure ECU soul recognice picanto motor etc
hope a reply soon as possible, i live in philippines now so here is alot of eps avalible hehe tnx

Hope you guys don't mind the ressurection of this post. Was looking at this mod around this time last year, and revisiting it recently when I stumbled across this video by HotRod. Maybe this would be a worthwhile look into. Has anyone did this here? Can this be made to work with hydroboost?

sorry thought i had posted it this morning.

Last edited:
Hope you guys don't mind the ressurection of this post. Was looking at this mod around this time last year, and revisiting it recently when I stumbled across this video by HotRod. Maybe this would be a worthwhile look into. Has anyone did this here? Can this be made to work with hydroboost?
@CarMichael Angelo did it to his 2JZ-swapped Fairmont.

@CarMichael Angelo did it to his 2JZ-swapped Fairmont.
Yep I did...
Used a 2009 prius eps column, cut down and modified to mate to the Ford column.
3 wire hookup ( 12v switched, and a constant 12v and gnd)
It "fail safes" to manual mode if the motor quits working for whatever reason, and is a little easier to steer than what a PS system would feel like if the belt broke.
I Mated it to a standard ratio manual rack, and it steers stupid easy. It's different from the power steering feel though, the EPS adds a slight " disconnected" feeling to the steering.
Something I'm sure I'll get used to.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep I did...
Used a 2009 prius eps column, cut down and modified to mate to the Ford column.
3 wire hookup ( 12v switched, and a constant 12v and gnd)
It "fail safes" to manual mode if the motor quits working for whatever reason, and is a little easier to steer than what a PS system would feel like if the belt broke.
I Mated it to a standard ratio manual rack, and it steers stupid easy. It's different from the power steering feel though, the EPS adds a slight " disconnected" feeling to the steering.
Something I'm sure I'll get used to.

Good to know its working for you. I've been on the fence with this idea for a bit now, but a couple of years back did a hydroboost setup on my foxbody. Slowly getting back to doing stuff on the car, since we've had so much free time lately. I guess one quick question, does the EPAS unit care anything about weight? Meaning do these units have issues with 3800-4000lb vehicles?

Good to know its working for you. I've been on the fence with this idea for a bit now, but a couple of years back did a hydroboost setup on my foxbody. Slowly getting back to doing stuff on the car, since we've had so much free time lately. I guess one quick question, does the EPAS unit care anything about weight? Meaning do these units have issues with 3800-4000lb vehicles?
Couldn't say.
The unit was intended to control the super weenie tire section width and relative light weight that a Prius would have....But, with the ratio in a steering rack being the equalizer of sorts...maybe it wont matter that much..somebody's gotta try and see.
I'll be that Huckleberry too

Couldn't say.
The unit was intended to control the super weenie tire section width and relative light weight that a Prius would have....But, with the ratio in a steering rack being the equalizer of sorts...maybe it wont matter that much..somebody's gotta try and see.
I'll be that Huckleberry too

Appreciate the feedback. I would think that this could work. I was doing some video watching, and a Drifter named Taylor Ray(iirc) was running a couple of different setups in his 315 square, LS3, Miata. The stock power steering setup on the LS3 proved to be not much for competition driving. He quickly moved over to a Electric pump driven steering setup, and though it gave better feel and effort, it still didnt cut it. He wont through several pump before one could make thru an event without overheating. Then came the column assist unit. Though he had a couple of initial issues, mostly trying to dial in the potentiometer, he was able to find a good road connect that didn't make it feel so numb. The Prius unit made throwing the lil Miata round, all that much easier. The wheel would find center effortlessly. I guess a couple of reasons to go this route is to declutter the engine bay a little. Take some side load off the crank. Gain a pony or two in the process. And in the event the motor dies, or stalls on me, I still have some control. I run a 265/315 combo, and it's hell pushing ol' girl around with no power. I had skates on her, but she's at my interior guys shop now, and he has a textured floor. Skates are not our friend.