Drivetrain $35 Electric Power Steering With Fail-safe - No Ebay Module And No Caster Issues!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Since early Fox did not have airbag, this mod would be as easy in Fox as early Classic. Plus its easy to get a manual Rack & Pinion for a Fox. Early classic are stuck with sloppy steering box which is why I converted my Falcon to Rack & Pinion. If I recall, Coyote does not have provision for power steering pump so why stay with manual rack and pinion. Junkyards are full of EPS now!

Waid

I actually purchased a Volve Electric power steering pump to try and adapt that to my 03/04 cobra steering rack as I love the feel of it.

Unfortunately, it was damaged in shipment (badly) so now I'm poking around for another one. Low on priority list.

Sorry to wake up this thread but I'm interested in this mod for my 87 Fox GT Convertible... Has anyone tested it in a Fox Mustang and could do a write up with pics related to our cars please?
Unfortunately there are no pick a part around here in Belgium that I know of, so I will have to source all the hardware from the US I reckon.
Thanks

I went out to the local yards and picked up a Yaris EPS and module. I also got a column from a fox to use rather than hack up my original. That will let me swap back if this is a bust. So far it looks like it should be doable. I'll post some info once I make more progress.

Reactions: 1 users
Thread revival to see if anyone has made any progress on this or not...
Saw a guy on Instagram that has installed a electrohydraulic steering pump from an Audi A2 in his Fox, and when I asked what kind of setup is needed he told me that the CANBUS needed to be worked around?!?
Don't really know what he means by that, but the setup didn"t require to hack the steering column
His IG profile: k3nn37_88

Is it similar to the Volvo electro-hydro power steering pump?

There's also now this option if you guys want an off-the-shelf solution

It might be, I don't know.
Yes I saw the EPAS kit from LMR but for the price, I have a complete Maximum Motorsports suspension setup :)
I just need to figure out how I can get a Prius unit since there are no pick-a-part that I know of near me... If someone finds a complete unit in the US maybe then I would be able to do something.

Id also be wondering about the rack ratio on the fox rack, and how much effort the stock Japanese EPS stuff was originally intended to assist.
A Fox 15:1 ratio manual sport rack with a 255-275 front tire is a ball buster to try and steer in the Walmart parking lot. ( speaking from past experience) I'm thinking the little tiny Corolla tire really doesn't put up that much resistance when you compare the two.
I'd hate to go through all of that conversion, only to have to keep changing out burned up EPS motors.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I'd hate to go through all of that conversion, only to have to keep changing out burned up EPS motors.

Not only that, but the failure at an inconvenient time is also a bit discouraging.

Searching for Ford EPAS issues, I've read a few stories of people having their EPAS electrical assist fail suddenly in a turn leading to a crash. At least with hydraulic, you have some warning when it's on it's way out.