4.6 SOHC Rebuild

Ok guys heres the deal i just bought another 4.6 engine and trans for my 97 GT so i could keep driving it while i do the build. the motor has 160k on it

Goal: 400-450 rwhp without forced induction or a bore (if possible)

What im asking is should i do bottom end with forged internals? or just take the bottom end apart and clean it up and do new rings?

top end i was thinking:

pi heads(maybe ported with a valve job)
pi intake
Comp Cams stage 2 cams
adjustable timing gears
steeda ud pulleys
70mm tb
long tube headers
msd coils
CAI(on car)
ford racing water pump
x pipe
flowmaster american thunder(on car)

ok what am i missing what else could i chage/add to meet my goal

if i do get it stroked can i still run all these things on the top end?

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated im going to take my time with this build cause its my first one but i do want to get started as soon as i can. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

:lol: no way you'll see 400-450 rwhp w/o boost. Best I've seen out of a 2v is 360 rwhp but that's with TFS heads and intake and very high c/r. You'd be lucky to see 300 rwhp.!

Without boost? Spray.

But without any power adders you won't get that far like n8 said. Even a 4 valve cobra swap won't get you to 400rwhp I believe.

i have an 03 gt the has 384 hp to the wheels... forged internals, stage 2 comp cams, 4.10's, cai, throttle body spacer, 75mm throttle body, accufab nupper plenum with a spacer, h-pipe cut at mid with high flow cats, long tube headers, underdrive pulleys, all topped off with an aggressive dyno tune.
any thoughts on supercharging it? i want to really bad

Without boost? Spray.

But without any power adders you won't get that far like n8 said. Even a 4 valve cobra swap won't get you to 400rwhp I believe.

MMFF is doing a 4V build and I think they'll exceed 400 rwhp, but they also have a Boss block w/larger bores, heavily ported 4v beads and intake, and cams, and they'll likely Rev to 7500/8000 rpms. I bet it would cost 10k+ for a build like that.

i have an 03 gt the has 384 hp to the wheels... forged internals, stage 2 comp cams, 4.10's, cai, throttle body spacer, 75mm throttle body, accufab nupper plenum with a spacer, h-pipe cut at mid with high flow cats, long tube headers, underdrive pulleys, all topped off with an aggressive dyno tune.

No offence but I call BS. Post up your dyno sheet and prove it. Are you sure you dont have a supercharger?

Hell 6psi vortech kits on a PI 4.6 with your list of mods are probably lucky to see 380 rwhp.

yeah, if your tuner told you that your car made 384 rwhp without nitrous or boost.... he lied to your face. if you have a dyno sheet than the tuner 'adjusted' it to make it look like more horsepower, unless of course you have trickflow heads w/ some insane compression and cams turning 8k rpm on race gas i call bs too. :bs:

my kb kit makes over 10psi with blower cams, full exhaust (no cats), cai, etc... granted it was a mustang dyno but i only dyno'd 376 rwhp

Ok guys heres the deal i just bought another 4.6 engine and trans for my 97 GT so i could keep driving it while i do the build. the motor has 160k on it

Goal: 400-450 rwhp without forced induction or a bore (if possible)

What im asking is should i do bottom end with forged internals? or just take the bottom end apart and clean it up and do new rings?

top end i was thinking:

pi heads(maybe ported with a valve job)
pi intake
Comp Cams stage 2 cams
adjustable timing gears
steeda ud pulleys
70mm tb
long tube headers
msd coils
CAI(on car)
ford racing water pump
x pipe
flowmaster american thunder(on car)

ok what am i missing what else could i chage/add to meet my goal

if i do get it stroked can i still run all these things on the top end?

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated im going to take my time with this build cause its my first one but i do want to get started as soon as i can. Thanks guys!

Think outside the box! 400-450 N/A hp IS possible, and it is actually really easy. It is called a Coyote swap, LTs, and a good tune. It would be cheaper than trying to build a N/A 2v to get near 350 rwhp.

LoL, I read it real quick and I thought it said 284 rwhp....it would have fit with the mods.

I hit 410whp on a mustang dyno at 7psi but that was at 5100rpm and I dont have forged internals so I had to slow the novi 2000 down as I am keeping it safe until I finish my other motor. But 400 with no power adder, doubtful.