• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

4.6 To 5.4 Swap Flywheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter 330McRee
  • Start date Start date Jul 13, 2017
  • Tags Tags
    5.4 4v flywheel
3

330McRee

New Member
Jul 13, 2017
2
0
1
Jul 13, 2017
#1
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #1
This is my first time posting so forgive me if I don't really do this correctly. I have a 1998 mustang that's been 5.4L 4v v8 swapped with an 8 bolt flywheel and I was wondering what flywheel would bolt up to it? It also has a T45 transmission if that helps.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,312
391
164
Joplin, Missouri
Jul 13, 2017
#2
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #2
Any 8 bolt modular motor flywheel will bolt. 96-04 cobras had them stock and iirx 99-00 gt cars did too.

Easy to source from late model or American muscle.
 

RyanBell

Member
Jun 22, 2017
20
8
23
Jul 14, 2017
#3
  • Jul 14, 2017
  • #3
The only issue you might run into is the difference in clutch diameters. I have a 10 1/2" on my 2v 5.4 but on my 4v 5.4 I went with the 11". just be aware of this when sourcing a new wheel.
 

Porkchop84

Active User
Jan 22, 2018
29
8
23
Jan 22, 2018
#4
  • Jan 22, 2018
  • #4
Just finished my build.......yes you will need an 11" clutch. Stock gt starter works without issue.
You'll need 4v cobra exhaust manifolds as well.
 

Porkchop84

Active User
Jan 22, 2018
29
8
23
Jan 22, 2018
#5
  • Jan 22, 2018
  • #5

5.4

  • Media owner Porkchop84
  • Date added Jan 22, 2018
4v
 

Porkchop84

Active User
Jan 22, 2018
29
8
23
Jan 22, 2018
#6
  • Jan 22, 2018
  • #6
330McRee said:
This is my first time posting so forgive me if I don't really do this correctly. I have a 1998 mustang that's been 5.4L 4v v8 swapped with an 8 bolt flywheel and I was wondering what flywheel would bolt up to it? It also has a T45 transmission if that helps.
Click to expand...



2001 Cobra flywheel is what I used.
 

Porkchop84

Active User
Jan 22, 2018
29
8
23
Jan 22, 2018
#7
  • Jan 22, 2018
  • #7
330McRee said:
This is my first time posting so forgive me if I don't really do this correctly. I have a 1998 mustang that's been 5.4L 4v v8 swapped with an 8 bolt flywheel and I was wondering what flywheel would bolt up to it? It also has a T45 transmission if that helps.
Click to expand...



What a you using for an intake?
 

Porkchop84

Active User
Jan 22, 2018
29
8
23
Jan 22, 2018
#8
  • Jan 22, 2018
  • #8

Custom

  • Media owner Porkchop84
  • Date added Jan 22, 2018
Built by yours truly Navi lower half......custom sheet metal upper......Navi twin blade throttle...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
5.4 4v base ignition timing table help.
  • leoleo
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
1
Views
110
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 17, 2026
MustangBetts
M
A
Need some info on putting a 2002 4.6l in a 1997 gt.
  • Austin4.6l
  • May 29, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
165
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 29, 2025
Austin4.6l
A
P
2002 T5 transmission vibration issue
  • puffoo
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
234
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Feb 22, 2026
puffoo
P
E
4.6l auto to 5.4l 6 speed
  • EastanF5
  • Jan 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
216
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jan 22, 2026
EastanF5
E
G
Supercharger Options 5.4 32V Intech
  • Germangazguzzler
  • Apr 19, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
4
Views
1K
Other Auto Tech Apr 23, 2025
RaggedGT
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?