400 Hp With A Stock Cam Question

Notch8022

May 5, 2009
I have an 87 notchback ssp mustang with a 5.0 h.o. motor. I want to use the heads mentioned in the CarCraft Link below. I would like to add the AFR heads to my car along with the new rockers mentioned. My question is can I keep fuel injection and what would I have to do to get the car to run smooth? (ie computer adjustment, larger injectors, fuel pump changes...?) Thanks.

1991 Ford Mustang - Car Craft Magazine

• Sponsors (?)

If you plan on adding those heads and doing further mods, you might want to consider switching to a Mass Air set up (if you haven't already).

To support those heads, a larger in-tank fuel pump would be a good idea along with at least 24lb injectors.

Also, if you're going that route, look into a new intake. Cobra/GT40 intakes are popular and can really make decent, driveable power (especially with the lower ported - search "TMoss" on this). People really like the TFS Street Heat intakes as well as the Edelbrock Street intakes.

You can make decent power with a stock cam and keep it very "around-town driver friendly". Not sure if you've upgraded your exhaust (be a good idea with the upcoming engine mods) or rear end gears yet (suggest 3.55's at minimum, 3.73's as ideal, or 4.10's if you really want to run it hard).

Be smart, match the parts, and she should be powerful and friendly.

Those are not real world results and you will not see those kinds of numbers. 23 HP from simply swapping out the rocker arms and they didn't check the geometry? Gimme a break. 103 HP from swapping a set of out of the box AFR 165 into an otherwise stock engine? Not gonna happen.

Put those heads on and get it dynoed. I can see your next post right now...

"WTF, where's my 400 HP? I'm only getting 250 HP."

You can make 400 HP with AFR 165s but you're going to have to spend a whole lot more than they did.