408 Need Long tube header, 3 inch exhaust help

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I am putting a 408 in my 93 lx. I am using the stock crossmember, and the car will be fuel injected. I want to go with a long tube header, and a 3 inch exhaust from the header back. My heads are 205 TEA Twisted wedge. The car will have a tremec tko 600 trans. I am having touble finding the right combo. I think I should run a 1 7/8 header, but I can only find 1 3/4. I looked at mac, bbk, I cant find flowmaster anymore. Am I missing something? Also I want ceramic coated, and pointed talpipe, not the dumps. I know I'm being picky but somebody must have an answer for me. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would also look at Accufab, Kooks or Stainless works (personally Id go stainless even if you decided to coat them) Youll end up making a custom X or H, but that really isnt a huge deal. Flowmaster, MAC and a few others make a 3" cat back...it is extremely tight and tire clearance can be an issue. If you have a anti-roll bar youll need something custom in most cases for proper clearance.

on my notch i used LT's into a 3" dr. X Pipe then 3" mufflers and put 2 1/2" flow master pipes out the rear. Put the car on the dyno, did one pull with the tails and one with out. And there was no loss so no real restriction to going to the smaller pipe out the car. put down 700hp so it was really moving air.

on my notch i used LT's into a 3" dr. X Pipe then 3" mufflers and put 2 1/2" flow master pipes out the rear. Put the car on the dyno, did one pull with the tails and one with out. And there was no loss so no real restriction to going to the smaller pipe out the car. put down 700hp so it was really moving air.
Which LT's did you have? I was wondering if there would be any gain putting on a 3 inch cat back instead of the 2.5. I am glad that you dynoed it, and now I am rethinking the 3' cat back. I think it is still beneficial to do a 3' mid pipe, dont you?

The dyno will only tell you so much. Taking a catback off will not always show a increase in HP, but most of the time the car will be faster at the track with less restriction.

Ok here is my research
Accufab will make me a set pricing is average around $500, but are not ceramic coated. I need to have them done if I buy them.
Kooks are real expensive. $1200 for just the headers.
Mac I can buy ceramic coated headers, and h pipe and cat back for $1200. Everything is 3 inch
BBK, Around $500, their headers have a 3 inch collector, but then their x pipe goes to 2.5. They are not sure what aftermarket x pipe will match up to their headers.
So I'm kind of leaning towards the Macs. I have heard they are tough to install, but then again the car will only have the motor in it, I will put the headers in once I drop the motor in.
Any thoughts?

Lay the headers in the engine compartment then drop the engine in. A lot easier with longtubes that dont separate like the kooks do. I dont blame you with not buying the kooks though. Got mine used for $350, was pretty happy with that. If you go with the Mac, get a X pipe, not a H

Ok I found out the Macs may not clear my tremec tko600 trans, so now I think I am going to go with accufab. What midpipe did you guys use? And how did you mate it up to the headers? Accufab is telling me that I need a muffler shop to hook the mid pipe to the collectors.

Ok I found out the Macs may not clear my tremec tko600 trans, so now I think I am going to go with accufab. What midpipe did you guys use? And how did you mate it up to the headers? Accufab is telling me that I need a muffler shop to hook the mid pipe to the collectors.

I bought a 3" universal x pipe kit from summit and fitted it myself. Also, i would bet you the accufabs will end up costing you closer to $700 by the time you are all said and done. You are gonna want to get the headers with adapter plates, and im pretty sure accufab charges to weld the headers complete to the collector. My accufabs fit well but they also hang pretty low. Ive heard that you can use a 8.2 deck kooks on a 9.5 deck motor and they tuck up nice. Maybe keep your eyes out for a used set, they are out there, just gotta be patient. I plan on trying to use my 8.2 deck accufabs on a 9.5 deck motor im building soon