5.0 H.o Cam Vs Non

• Sponsors (?)

I ran a f cam in a non ho block and the intake valve just barely touched the pistons. Check piston to valve clearence and use the ho firing order but honestly it will depend on your compression ratio if you get any hp increase

Proper way to change firing order (along with cam obviously) includes an H.O. ECM and injector harness (or re-pin the non-H.O. harness). Keeping the non-H.O. ECM is NOT the proper way.

Frankly, if all you want is a different cam in your non-H.O. block, get a different cam for non.H.O. firing order. I doubt you can give a valid reason for forgoing a "hotter" non-H.O. cam in favor of an H.O. cam, and then having to cobble together every other necessary change to make it work.

Reactions: 1 user
I put the cam in which was 351 firing order or "H.O" e303 cam gt40 heads and no valve clearance issues at all flat top no relief pistons stock lifters and rods 1.6 roller rockers block is a 89 crown vic roller block the motor runs great got 650cfm DP sounds good just not what I was expecting out of the heads

I put the cam in which was 351 firing order or "H.O" e303 cam gt40 heads and no valve clearance issues at all flat top no relief pistons stock lifters and rods 1.6 roller rockers block is a 89 crown vic roller block the motor runs great got 650cfm DP sounds good just not what I was expecting out of the heads
What did you put it in and what were you expecting?

It pays to get good flowing heads I learned and gt40 heads are not the way to go to make a considerable difference for the money with spring upgrade etc I'm going to go with trickflows twisted wedge heads

Reactions: 1 user
The heads found on the engines that went in the panther platform cars (and the fox-based Thunderbird and Cougar of the '80s) were pretty terrible even when compared to stock E7s. They were designed to maximize fuel economy in concert with the non-HO firing order which lent itself to a smoother running engine. I believe those 5.0s were rated at 150hp.