5.0 Resto

Black 93 Fox

Jun 1, 2003
Vancouver,Washington
The 5.0 resto.com 5 lug conversion what parts do they use from what year of car do you guys know? I want to use Boyd Coddington Smoothie 2 wheels but looks like I might have to do the 5 lug swap. So say they use the parts from a 95 so would that mean that I order wheels for a 95 mustang? I found the wheels for my 93 with 4 lug but it has the wrong backspacing.(See link at bottom) And I cant find another set with different backspacing. Also how much back spacing do you guys think im gona need these wheels are 108mm so 4.25" right.

Here is the 5 lug kit
http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=2514

Here is the wheel
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...3&wd=17&dVeh=dVeh&pc=54015&rw=&bp=&vid=001772

• Sponsors (?)

Look at it this way:

The stock pony rims had a backspacing of 4.87" - keep in mind that is a 7" wide rim. This means that 2.13" of the rim are in front of the mounting surface. The Boyd's have a 20mm offset (positive I assume) therefore = 4.7874 back space. When you switch to the smoothie then 3.2126" of the rim will be in front of the mounting surface since it is a 8" rim. The solution is to measure and determine if you have enough room to have the wheel come out 1.0826" more towards the fender lip. In my case I run Saleen 18x9 rims with a 24mm offset (5.5" back space), this means that 3.5" of my wheel is in front of the mounting surface. I find that this come pretty much to the edge of the car on the front. According to this, seems that you should be okay with those wheels. This is assuming you have stock track width.

Black 93 Fox said:
The car isnt lowered yet I was planning on lowering the car after I put the wheels on it. I want to run a 275-45-17 tire in the back and a 245-45-17 in the front.

Re-read my original post - had to edit it a bit. You'll be good with a 245 but the 275 ... some guys can run it, flip the quad, clears the exhaust, not roll the fenders, not even hammer the inner fender well .... not on my car :rolleyes: The rear will be a gamble if you go with a 275 ... if you want to play it safe, go with a 255.

tunedin302 said:
Re-read my original post - had to edit it a bit. You'll be good with a 245 but the 275 ... some guys can run it, flip the quad, clears the exhaust, not roll the fenders, not even hammer the inner fender well .... not on my car :rolleyes: The rear will be a gamble if you go with a 275 ... if you want to play it safe, go with a 255.

I have dumps and dont mind ditching the quads and I will roll the fender If I have to. So you think the wheels will fit ok with that backspacing 108mm I dont mind if they stick out a little bit but not a bunch. Thanks for the help

Black 93 Fox

Black 93 Fox said:
The 5.0 resto.com 5 lug conversion what parts do they use from what year of car do you guys know? I want to use Boyd Coddington Smoothie 2 wheels but looks like I might have to do the 5 lug swap. So say they use the parts from a 95 so would that mean that I order wheels for a 95 mustang? I found the wheels for my 93 with 4 lug but it has the wrong backspacing.(See link at bottom) And I cant find another set with different backspacing. Also how much back spacing do you guys think im gona need these wheels are 108mm so 4.25" right.

Here is the 5 lug kit
http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=2514

Here is the wheel
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...3&wd=17&dVeh=dVeh&pc=54015&rw=&bp=&vid=001772

That kit uses the Lincoln Rotor/Ranger Axle conversion. With that conversion you have to be mindful of the wheel bearing grease cap clearence.

For wheel backspacing, I would not use more than 5.75" or less than 5.25" on an 8" wide wheel.

For comparisons sake the OEM 17x8 Mustang GT wheels are 5.72" backspace/30mm offset.

This is my car with 16x8" wheels with 5.25" backspacing.
1691255_2_full.jpg

Black 93 Fox said:
So you think the wheels will fit ok with that backspacing 108mm

108mm is not the backspacing, it is the distance across from one bolt hole to another. The wheel has a 20mm offset (again I assume that this is a positive offset) which means it has a backspacing of 4.7874". You need to really educate yourself about the wheels and fitment before making a big investment. Check out the left side of the screen on the wheel page you linked. It will explain the measurements for you.

tunedin302 said:
108mm is not the backspacing, it is the distance across from one bolt hole to another. The wheel has a 20mm offset (again I assume that this is a positive offset) which means it has a backspacing of 4.7874". You need to really educate yourself about the wheels and fitment before making a big investment. Check out the left side of the screen on the wheel page you linked. It will explain the measurements for you.

Yeah I dont know jack squat about wheels I am a motor guy. I'll look at that link.

Black 93 Fox said:
Ok after reading that link I think the 20mm offset is negative because the wheel is a 3inch deep dish which makes the mounting surface on the brake side correct?

It's positive backspace. Negitive backspace would be expressed as -20

Let me help you a little. Here's how to make offset into backspace.

Take the offset (in this case 20) and divide it by 25.4. It equals .787". Now take the wheel width and add 1" to get the true wheel width. Divide that by 2 and add the .787" to it. So an 8 inch rim is actually 9" wide. So 4.5 + .787 = 5.287"

So that wheel has a 5.287" backspace.

tjm73 said:
It's positive backspace. Negitive backspace would be expressed as -20

Let me help you a little. Here's how to make offset into backspace.

Take the offset (in this case 20) and divide it by 25.4. It equals .787". Now take the wheel width and add 1" to get the true wheel width. Divide that by 2 and add the .787" to it. So an 8 inch rim is actually 9" wide. So 4.5 + .787 = 5.287"

So that wheel has a 5.287" backspace.

I never heard about adding an inch for "true" wheel width. Where did you get that from? I'm interested in this now.

tunedin302 said:
I never heard about adding an inch for "true" wheel width. Where did you get that from? I'm interested in this now.

It's something I learned a long time ago from my Father and Brother. Here's how it work's, take a wheel that has no tire on it that you know it's size. I'll use a stock 15x7 turbine wheel as an example. They're 15x7", we all know that. That 7" width measurement is from the inside of the rim lip to the inside of the opposing rim lip. Lay a tape measure across the rim measureing from the outside of the rim lip to the outside of the other rim lip and it'll be almost exactly 1" wider.

The wheel is still "7 inches" wide, but when you look at tires it's helpful to remember the wheel is actually closer to 8 inches wide. Soyou want a tire that's at least 8 inches wide. 25.4mm = 1". So 8 x 25.4 = 203.4. So 205 is the smallest tire that fit the turbine wheel. My rule of thumb is no more than 1" per side of extra tire width over true wheel width. So on that same turbine wheel the biggest size tire I'd run is 10", or 255.

tjm73 said:
It's something I learned a long time ago from my Father and Brother. Here's how it work's, take a wheel that has no tire on it that you know it's size. I'll use a stock 15x7 turbine wheel as an example. They're 15x7", we all know that. That 7" width measurement is from the inside of the rim lip to the inside of the opposing rim lip. Lay a tape measure across the rim measureing from the outside of the rim lip to the outside of the other rim lip and it'll be almost exactly 1" wider.

The wheel is still "7 inches" wide, but when you look at tires it's helpful to remember the wheel is actually closer to 8 inches wide. Soyou want a tire that's at least 8 inches wide. 25.4mm = 1". So 8 x 25.4 = 203.4. So 205 is the smallest tire that fit the turbine wheel. My rule of thumb is no more than 1" per side of extra tire width over true wheel width. So on that same turbine wheel the biggest size tire I'd run is 10", or 255.

That makes sense. In that case, my measurements do not include the wheel lip.