65 Stang With Versailles Brakes

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
65 Stang With Versailles Rear

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I am a long time Mustang owner. I just haven't had time or resources until recently to work on it again. I have a slight issue. I have a Lincoln Versailles 9 inch rear with disc brakes that is going in the car soon. It is nearly ready except I can not find the rear brake caliper hoses. I have searched fairly extensively online and only a few places carry them. Those that do say that they are temporarily out of stock or backordered until an unknown date. Does anyone know where I can get these or what I can use in place of them? Any input is appreciated. Thanks :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC front hoses from a mid 70's ford pickup are the same only slightly longer but will work just fine as a replacement. you might try seeing if a store in your are has a set for the truck and then take your down and match them up to make sure all the ends are the same

Unless you already know the calipers and everything is good, I would advise against the Versailles brakes. They work fine, but if you have to replace anything itll be expensive and/or hard to find, as youre finding already. Personally, I would sell what you have and replace it with 94-01 Explorer rear disks. They bolt up directly to your existing housing and are FAR cheaper to service. I actually bought a complete set yesterday from my local U-pull yard, and walked away with everything including the parking brakes, cables, calipers, good rotors, mounting brackets, and hoses, all for $47.50. If you want to just keep what you have, the truck hoses sound like a good option.

if everything else is in good working order the versailles brakes work well and if you already have them that's tought to beat at any price, plus you get the added benefit of a much stronger housing than any early car rearend too.

Thanks for the tip about the ford truck hoses. This may be what I do. It seems easy enough.

As for going the Explorer route, I already have eveything replaced except those 2 hoses. So, I can't see going that route right now.

Going with braided lines also sounds like a good idea. I may end up doing this. If I do, I'll probably just buy some that are close to the same length. Do they need to be slighly longer than the oem hoses?

Thanks for information at Mustangs Plus. I just checked with them and right now they do not have any. They said that their supplier isn't making any right now or something to that effect.

Right now I am waiting to hear back from UltraStang. Steve said he can probably get them.

Unless you already know the calipers and everything is good, I would advise against the Versailles brakes. They work fine, but if you have to replace anything itll be expensive and/or hard to find, as youre finding already. Personally, I would sell what you have and replace it with 94-01 Explorer rear disks. They bolt up directly to your existing housing and are FAR cheaper to service. I actually bought a complete set yesterday from my local U-pull yard, and walked away with everything including the parking brakes, cables, calipers, good rotors, mounting brackets, and hoses, all for $47.50. If you want to just keep what you have, the truck hoses sound like a good option.

Decurion, do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm trying to get my e-brake hooked up and that price alone is less than a new set of e-brake cables for the versailles or from lokar... Is there a writeup anywhere on this?

Thanks!

Decurion, do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm trying to get my e-brake hooked up and that price alone is less than a new set of e-brake cables for the versailles or from lokar... Is there a writeup anywhere on this?

Thanks!

I personally have not done it, but there are many who have. I actually got the parts for someone else. If you already have Versailles brakes, the explorer cables have a totally different end on it. I can get a picture of the crusty explorer parts I have, if that will help any.

It looks like Steve at Ultra Stang can get the hoses. He said that they are backordered but should be available in a couple weeks. I am going to wait and see how that goes. If I still can not get them, I will probably try the 70s Ford truck front hoses and see if they work. Thats interesting that you said the 94-98 Cobra ones might work. We have a 97 Cobra. I'll have to take a look at its rear brake hoses.